AT&T and Apple iPhone 4 year contract?

Discussion in 'WWDC 2009 (June 8-12)' started by MegaIpod, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MegaIpod

MegaIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hello,

I just went into one of the AT&T stores today and asked some questions about the iPhone. Verizon happened to come up and I asked them if it was going to be on Verizon? They said they have like a exclusive 4 year contract with Apple. Is this true?
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Not a 4 year contract. Many people can't get through a 2 year without something happening to their devices. It could possibly be a 2 or 3 year. I have never heard of a 4 year cellphone contract.
  3. MegaIpod

MegaIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sorry that came out wrong, I mean for the agreement between Apple and AT&T not the customers.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have heard rumors that Apple and AT&T have an agreement until 2012, but I have also seen until 2010. I think that 2012 makes more sense seeing as people who buy the 3G S would barely be half a month into their contracts when the exclusivity would stop being AT&T. Also, AT&T and Apple have worked pretty well together (from what I can tell) so there's no rush for a change. Apple doesn't need to stop users from unlocking their phones for use on Verizon, though that probably angers AT&T. MacWorld once ran an article about how many iPhone users were leaving AT&T already (which sucks for AT&T, seeing as the $99 iPhone is subsidized with the contract).

Hope that made sense.
  5. MegaIpod

MegaIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well I am hopeing it is going to Verizon because I would like the new 3G S and I want to call my friends for free.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Verizon, I really doubt. Verizon still uses CDMA, which the iPhone is totally not designed for. Verizon is switching over in the next few years, so by then hopefully it'll work. AT&T sucks in my area; every carrier except them gets service in my house.
  7. MegaIpod

MegaIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I hate how I have to pay 700$ for the new iPhone because I brought the 3g a month ago...
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It actually makes sense, though, because AT&T needs to make money somehow. Otherwise you'd have bought a subsidized iPhone 3G and then a subsidized 3G S all on the same 2 year contract.
  9. MegaIpod

MegaIpod New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    True but why wouldn't I get rid of my account for 175 and buy another contract? Thats much easier and cheaper.
  10. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Yeah, just cancel and pay the fine, then make a new account. Cheaper, and really stupid on AT&Ts part because they'll "lose" a lot of customers.