ASUS+Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GeneralDuctape, Oct 21, 2008.

1. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So I got my ASUS Eee PC, but am quite bored with Xandros. After looking into hacking it for Mac OS X Tiger, I found that it requires a warranty void among other things. But after looking and the Ubunut"LustyLeopard", I really want to put it on. Only problem is that I don't have access to any CD-R's above 700mb, and the ISO is 702mb

Please Register or Log in to view images

So really, if anyone could provide me with a link or a step-by-step tutorial on how to load it onto a 4G Kingston thumbdrive and load it onto my ASUS WITHOUT an optical/external drive, it would be much appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

GeneralDuctape
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't think you'll have to worry about the Warranty thing with Mac OS X. I mean, its just like an iPod. You can just restore or install Linux and remove Mac OS X. And if you're really paranoid, you can DBAN (Derrick's Boot and Nuke) it. And THEN re-install. The EEEPC has a DVD Drive in it right? Why not burn Linux to a DVD-R/RW then install?
  3. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well for the warranty, I mean with the laptop itself. If I would want wi-fi I would most likely get a new wi-fi card. And installing that would void warranty on the laptop. And no, the 701 version doesn't. I just haven't found any straight forward tuts on how to do it without a drive/DVD-R/CD-R
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Regarding Ubuntu Lusty Leopard:

Did you try to burn the ISO or did you think it wouldn't work and then not try?

I burned it to at least five 700MB CD-Rs with no problems, and every person I have spoken to who has downloaded it has managed to put it on a CD. It works, because when the CDs are made, they make them slightly bigger than 700MB, typically ~708MB. I was really working at the limit but it seems to work for everyone else. Perhaps try different burning software if you have tried to burn it and failed.
  5. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Use something like Infrarecorder to burn it to the CD. Infrarecorder makes sure that it's not just an ISO.