Asus N61JV-X2 vs. HP DV7T Quad Edition- help!

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by sageDieu, Mar 12, 2010.

1. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've been saving up my money all my life to buy something substantial that will last a long time and be worth the investment. I recently decided to use it on a laptop for many reasons, and after lots and LOTS of research I decided on the Asus N61JV-X2 16-inch Entertainment Laptop and was about to make the purchase when I checked Lifehacker and found an HP DV7T for $500 off.

With the deal thing (http://dealzon.com/deals/hp-dv7t-laptop) it is the same price as the Asus for a much better laptop according to the specs; quad core processor and a TB hard drive, etc. They both have 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM which are the main things I'm looking for.

My problem is that the Asus is about two inches smaller in width than the HP, and this might make a difference since I would be taking this thing everywhere. It seems like I would be able to get used to it, but then I can't find any real reviews or information on the HP while the Asus has many reviews praising its features and general awesomeness.

If anybody could help me out with this decision that would be greatly appreciated; throw in your opinion, or if you could tell me from experience that the HP is a good laptop, or anything at all. The deal might end in a day or two so the sooner the better.

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

/sage
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    HP = Garbage.

That is all.
  3. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @Nburnes: I guess thanks for replying but that doesn't really help me... do you mean their hardware or customer service or what? With the specs of this thing I could get over bad customer service but I don't know if it's a good laptop or not.
  4. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Just in general. I need to find the graph that has all the major computer companies on it, side by side. HP has the lowest ratings in everything.
  5. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh okay. part of me tells me to go with the asus since it's a fantastic company but then the rest of me sees the specs on that laptop and starts drooling.
  6. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Laptop that doesn't die almost right out of warranty (Asus)
    vs.
    Laptop that is bound to die right out of warranty (HP)

Almost every HP I owned had their motherboard crap out a month or two out of warranty.
  7. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I did some more research and found some more bad stuff about that specific model... going with the Asus. Thanks for your help.
    Would you maybe happen to know (or know a place where I can find) if any distro of hackintosh would support that laptop?
  8. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Laptop that is elegant, reliable, and has rock-solid build quality (Apple).
    Also, Snow Leopard is an amazing operating system. I grew up with Windows 95, stayed with Microsoft all the way through Vista, and then I got a Mac. Never going back.</fanboyism>

Firstly, Asus is a reputable company that makes quality products, and a company that I respect. I understand that the Macbook Pro is out of your desired price range by several hundred dollars, so I would recommend the Asus machine.

Next, 16-inch is a massive laptop and it will be inconvenient to carry around. Consider going to a 15-inch or even a 13-inch. It will make a difference if you really will be taking this everywhere. If not, then go for it.

Even when you do all the research you want online, you should still go to a local store (ahem Apple Retail) and try out some laptops for usability and personal preferences.

Just a point of personal preference for me is that I absolutely DEPLORE hp trackpads. I've probably been spoiled by the GIGANTIC capacitive glass trackpads on Macs (*cough* amazing), but they just feel cheap and inadequate to me.

The Asus machines at my local Best Buy seem to be built well and they look classy. That would be my recommendation, but ultimately it's your choice.

That's just my two cents.

EDIT: As for your question of hackintoshing, the Core i7, i5 series seems to have support in Snow Leopard, but you would have to check for your specific components.
  9. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would like a macbook but it's definitely out of my range.

I know about the size, and I would be taking it everywhere but I think that I could get used to it. I could just put it in my bag with all my other heavy crap lol.

This particular model is only available on Amazon, no retail stores or other online stores have it.

I also kinda dislike Hp trackpads, but since I'm going with the Asus I don't have to worry about that. This machine also has multi-touch, just like a mac

I looked around on the webz and found that the i5-430M (the one in this model) is indeed supported by hackintosh. Everything else in it seems to be good except the wireless card which I'll have to mess with. And maybe the USB 3.0 port... it has one 3.0 and one 2.0 and I doubt hackintosh has 3.0 support yet.

Thanks for your help Sitruss