Assassin's Creed VS. Duke Nukem 3D - A quest to win it all!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by TheTechZone, Aug 17, 2009.

1. TheTechZone

TheTechZone New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

VS

Welcome to the battle of the ancient assassin's versus the Futuristic hero's. It's a fight for the ultimate action/adventure game. Let's begin the reviews.

Setting

Assassin's Creed - The game is set in Jerusalem 1191 A.D. The Third Crusade between the Crusaders and Saracens is tearing the Holy Land Aprt

Your an Assassin called 'Altair' who has been sent by the Order of Assassins in search of 'The Chalice' which is so powerful, that it can end The Crusades,depending on which camp owns it. Your job is to steal The Chalice from the Templars before someone else does.'

I'd say the story sounds really interesting. Even the part that it is set in many locations. The city's you can play at are Damascus,Alep,Tyre,Acre and Jerusalem. When i first played the game i didn't expect the game to have such great scenery and environments. You can play in the desert,underground,ports.camps,cities and the kinds of weather you can encounter is day,night and rain. Great Setting, i really enjoyed it.

Duke Nukem 3D - The game is set in the early 21st century and the Earth is now abducted by a race of aliens. You, Duke Nukem, finally returns to Earth from the events of Duke Nukem II. Now since he returns to L.A, he has some work to do. The game is mainly is set in L.A and the game has 3 kinds of Places, L.A,Sharpnel City and Lunar Apocolypse. You can play in many locations. Cities,Rooftops,Spaceships,Canyon's,Army Bases,Subways,Underwater and Japanese kind of places

The only problem i had was the kind of weather.The game only is only set at night-time and rarely, during the sunset. But the levels are good so i don't find that a problem. The setting is ok, but should have better environments.

Who wins? - Well Assassin's Creed has great scenery and weather. Duke Nukem has various kinds of locations. But i find Assassin's Creed more entertaining. Besides, it look's more colorful. Assassin's Creed win's this one

Gameplay and Combat

Assassin's Creed - The game is all about adventure. But don't think that the game is very easy. There are many kinds of stunt's and jumps you can do. You have jump over rooftops,swing ropes or use your grappling hook,sneak up and do assassinations....there's just alot to do. When i first played this game, i really enjoyed it. It sort of kept me busy for about 2-3 hours. There are some jumps and puzzles that really requires your brain....and i like that. The gameplay for this game is great.

The combat for this game is really cool and excellent! The kinds of moves and combos this game has is excellent. Your player does backflip's,chop's,slices..just many kinds of moves. I really enjoyed using these combos. Unfortunately,you'll need to finish alot of levels to unlock the best combos. But using swords are not the only kinds of weapon's you can use are Bomb's,Smoke Bomb's,Crossbow's and dagger's. The combat of this game is really amazing and i'm very impressed and had fun with it

Duke Nukem 3D - At first,even on the first level, i found the game sometimes hard cause there are places where they require access keys in order to access them. But finding these access keys is REALLY HARD! Well, for some levels that is. But the great thing is that when finding those access cards, you can encounter secret areas where you can find weapons, health, ammo or even some enemies. You can go to offices and jump from rooftop to rooftop, use jetpacks,night vision goggles all tools you'll need for some spying skills. I pretty much enjoyed the gameplay of the game and i'm really glad i have this game.

But the Combat is actually nothing compared to Assassin's Creed. Since you only use guns, there's nothing really much to talk about combat, but there are many kinds of guns you can use. Missile Launchers,Freeze throwers, Shrink Rays, Pipe bombs,Laser bombs,Shotguns,Pistols and there are also some gadgets to make it easier. I like the fact that there is a lot of guns but it's not that interesting to me. But the combat i should say overall,good.

Who wins? I liked Assassin's Creed's gameplay but to tell the truth, Duke Nukem had better gameplay, due to the fact i found it hard to find those access keys and also has some secret areas you can use as shortcuts. But Duke Nukem is highly not compared to Assassin Creed's combat which is truly spectacular. So i guess Duke Nukem win's Gameplay and Assassin's Creed win's in Combat.

So far Assassin's Creed is on the lead but will Duke Nukem reach back to the top? Well, there are a few more topics left. Let's continue

AI

Assassin's Creed
    - The AI in this game is easy at first but as you complete levels, they really get extremely tougher and tougher. Some of the guards wear strong armor in which it will take some time. There are also a few bosses but they are not really as smart as some of the guards. To me, if there are alot of guards, i get frustrated a bit. But overall, the AI is good.

Duke Nukem 3D
    - The AI in this game is actually sometimes dumb in this game. Well, not all. There alien you find on the first level, the one with the laser pistol is really stupid. If you just hide behind a wall, he doesn't come looking for you. But there are AI that is tough so don't think you can win this real easy. But when you encounter alot of opponents, you WILL find it hard. But overall, i should say that the AI would have been better.

Who wins? - It's pretty obvious. Assassin's Creed has much better AI than Duke Nukem..

Graphics and Soundtrack

Assassin's Creed - The graphics in this game is nice. The framerate runs probably at around......20-25 FPS. There are some parts where you can notice a little pixel but most of the objects are HQ. The soundtrack in this game has sort of some Arabian style Music since it is set in the Arab region

Duke Nukem 3D - The game was actually released for PC in 1996. So there wasn't really much 3D at that time. But when the iPod version was released, the textures looked more high-quality and more 3D. The only problem is that there are some objects and the opponents that are not 3D. If you move around them, it's like they are also rotating to avoid showing something. I would say the graphics would have been better but the framerate of this game is good. Around 30-40 FPS. The bad thing is that there is no music in this game and the only music there is, is the main menu which is short. Should have been better

Who wins? - Assassin's Creed definitely wins both Graphics and Soundtrack

Extras-

Assassin's Creed - There's not much of extras in this game. Well, you can upgrade your weapons and life bar, do 2 mini-games. There's nothing really much to talk about in Extra's. Should have been better.

Duke Nukem 3D - There are many mini games and extras you can encounter. Such as playing pool,The Cinema,destroy a skyscraper and using the toilet? Duke Nukem even say's some humor during the game. Such as 'It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.....i'm all out of gum.' Go in front of the mirror and use the action button and he'll say that he look's good. I really love the extras in this game and i really enjoyed the mini-games.

Who wins? Duke Nukem wins for having more extras and mini-games

Who's the winner

Let's round up the score-

Setting - Assassin's Creed
    Gameplay - Duke Nukem
    Combat - Assassin's Creed
    AI - Assassin's Creed
    Graphics - Assassin's Creed
    Soundtrack - Assassin's Creed
    Extras - Duke Nukem

It's pretty clear who wins. ASSASSIN'S CREED!

Duke Nukem should upgrade the graphics, have some music and HIGHLY IMPROVE THE CONTROLS. But that dosen't mean that you shouldn't buy Duke Nukem. Go ahead and try it for yourself.

Assassin's Creed
    Price - $4.99
    Developer - Gameloft

Duke Nukem 3D
    Price - $2.99
    Developer - 3D Realms

Attached Files:

2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    This is an interesting competitive review.
  3. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

yes, it was obvious Assassin's Creed would win, Duke Nukem was just released and hasent been able to fix its bugs, add better controls, etc...
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I love comparative reviews... and this end sum up is very good. Assassin's is the true winner

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Nice reviw! AC just looks alot better (I haven't played DN yet, becaus it was taken out of the german store)
  6. ChronicFuse

ChronicFuse New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i havnt tried duke nukem but i have been playin assassins creed and it is for sure fun and challenging i can say it is deff. worth the money to pick this game up as you will enjoy if from the moment you start and honestly just go and buy it dont waste you time with the free version and you get to kill about 6 guys and then you are done with the free version lol so that was a turn off from the free. but everyone who like assassins creed this is a must have for your itouch/iphone
  7. goodboy055

goodboy055 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    duke nukem raps assassins creed boring and dull gameplay and combat. DN is a all time classic on the iphone/ipod touch (origanally on n64) which assassins creed nor any game gameloft makes will ever compare to it.
  8. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Please use correct English and if your trying to make a point, get your facts right. Duke Nukem 3D was released January 29, 1996 for PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    On the contrast, I prefer Duke Nuke'em a lot more. Assasin's Creed is not even close to beating Duke.