armband triggering proximity sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonrn2000, Jul 4, 2010.

1. jasonrn2000

jasonrn2000 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Anyone have this problem? I am using an ipod touch armband, and notice that the proximity sensor on my iphone 4 is triggered frequently. I use gps apps while running and can't see the screen. I have to pull back the clear plastic window on the armband to eneable the screen - which is not easy when running. Thought about getting a new case, but they all seem to be generic - fitting all iphones.

Jason
  2. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Do you mean the ambient light sensor? Is the screen going off completely or dimming? If it's dimming, go to Setting > Brightness and turn Auto-Brightness off.
  3. jasonrn2000

jasonrn2000 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No. The proximity sensor. It must think Im talking on the phone, even though im not in the phone app.
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You know that thing that makes the screen turn off when you bring it up to talk on the phone? That's what he's talking about. Try using a case designed for the iPhone.
  5. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I know what he's talking about but the proximity sensor is only active while in a call.
  6. boomboomipod

boomboomipod Banned

Otherwise it would suck. Look around in settings to turn it off.
  7. BAMitUp

BAMitUp New Member

Sure it's not the auto lock screen?
  8. jasonrn2000

jasonrn2000 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is not the autolock screen. The first time I used the gps running app, the screen stayed on the whole time - which I liked, so I could see my progress. I took the phone out of the armband for a photo, put it back in and notices the screen was off. I first thought it was the auto lock, but the slide to unlock never came up. I noticed that if I moved the phone in the case the screen would come on / off. I then put two and two together. If I pull back the case from the phone, the screen turns on - when I let go, and the case is against the phone - the screen turns off. I understand the proximity sensor should not be on unless in a phone call. Maybe the app I'm using is turning it on? I am using imapmyrun and runkeeper.

I would love to get an iphone armband. I was hoping to pick it up at my local stores so I could have it now, but Best buy, Target, Walmart, Kmart, Staples, and Radioshack do not have them - only ipod arm bands. I will have to buy online.

The ipod touch armband is big enough for the phone - the holes are just a little different. I have a feeling I will have the same problem with the iphone armband.

Jason
  9. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    You could always drill a small hole in the one you have.
  10. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You need a iPhone armband, or try drilling in holes

But, the fact that the proximity sensor is on worries me... Can you afford a restore?