Are you going to trade in now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tech3475, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    With the iphone 3Gs supposedly being faster, the ipt wont be far behind in september. So are you going to stick with the ipt2g for now or sell now and buy the new one later?
  2. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    upt2G? I'll get the new iPod touch for my birthday in September, my old 2G will probably go to a family member
  3. SL33P3R

SL33P3R New Member

When you trade in your iPod for a new model, you only get like 10-15% off of new one. Sell it then buy new one.
  4. ThePickler

ThePickler Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Trading in your iPodTouch 2Gen/iPhone 2nd Gen as soon as the new one comes out seems like a bad idea.

Do you remember how long it took the Dev team to jailbreak the 2nd generation? It almost didn't happen. I'd think Apple will have fixed the hardware exploit by the 3rd Gen and make it no longer jailbreakable.

I won't trade mine unless I know the 3rd Gen can be jailbroken. I may still buy it if there is a compelling enough reason, but I wouldn't sell my jailbroken model for anything until I'm certain.
  5. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What do you mean the 2G jailbreak almost didn't happen? The 2G would have been jailbroken within a month if the dev team didn't have another project they were working on.
  6. ThePickler

ThePickler Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It wasn't a time issue. If you remember they had hardware issues with the LLB, specifically with locating the 0x24000 Segment Overflow. If I understand correctly, the amount of space required for the overwrite was so small this was the reason why they needed to use a tethered jailbreak. It wasn't until they they found this specific address to exploit that an untethered jailbreak was possible.

They were able to exploit the hardware.

This time Apple might get wise and plug ALL of the holes.
  7. Firebird94

Firebird94 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just to put it out there, anything can be hacked after a certain point.
  8. ThePickler

ThePickler Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    True, but often with compromises. I'm not saying it won't be possible, just that it might not be possible. Sure, the Dev team may be able to do another untethered jailbreak, maybe not, or with the limitation of a tethering solution.

I'm just saying, wait before you trade yours in until you know for sure if you want to jailbreak.
  9. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yes it was a time issue. The dev team didn't even take a look at the 2G until february. If they would have looked at it in September the jailbreak would have been out within the month
  10. ThePickler

ThePickler Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Just for the sake of argument, even if time was the only issue, if you trade yours in the moment the 3rd gen iPod comes out you will still have to wait for months again before Dev team even looks at it, the iPhone is their top priority.

From what I've read it may be even longer this time around especially if Apple does release multiple scaled versions of the new iPhone, not just one iPhone of different storage capacities.