Are sites for music illegal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spybenj, Jul 19, 2009.

?

Illegal?

1. No, not illegal

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Kindof, depends on where its from

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I dont care

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Yes, illegal

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. spybenj

spybenj New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I want to start a discussion about if sites with links pertaining to copies of music are illegal.
    For example, a site that has copies of music to download without paying... is that any more illegal then a youtube video with a song in it? Both are hearing the song for free. A site like alluc.org is not illegal, as it just links to other sites. the real.com site has free music downloads when you signup, is that illegal?

A site with copies of music is not a warez, as it was at one point bought by one person who shared it with the rest of the persons(no typo there)
    As long as you pay a fee to download the music, it is not illegal. Itunes accepts songs that are not bought through them.
    A site like amazon.com resells the songs, just as any other site with copies of music does.

I think, as long as you pay a fee you are still paying for the music, what do you think?
    Do not close this post as it is not linking to any warez site(s), it is just a discussion about opinions on this forum.
  2. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If it's Illegal then iTunes is illegal cause it offers a "Free Song of The Week"
  3. Chabara

Chabara Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^but that's just one song and it'd be pretty easy to go talk to the band/artist whatever and ask if they can use their song as the free song of the week

bands would probably want that as it gets them a lot of publicity too

but like a site like grooveshark that has millions of songs free to listen to, i don't see how that's legal

i voted i don't care tho, 'cos i don't care
  4. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple has deals, contracts, and licences to sell copyrighted material from their owners. The same goes for Amazon. Most sites that offer free music that don't house the music itself but just provide links are techincally aren't illegal as they are just info sites but it's possible that they can be slammed with aidding in copyright infringment. It's complicated. If your laying a fee to a site it doesn't always mean your paying the copyright holder or that the person that is selling it to you has a licence. As for the song of the week on iTunes Apple has a contract/licence/permission to do that, it's to promote artist.