iOS 4.1 Are "SHSH blobs" important for limera1n/4.1/4g IPT?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ruffdraft, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Ruffdraft

Ruffdraft New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I jailbroke my IPT 4g on 4.1 with limera1n. Ive been hearing about these SHSH blobs but i dont know what they are and why they are important.

They sound like something i need to maintain my jailbreak incase i update my firmware. Kind of like a back up. Are these important since my Ipod is supposedly "pwned4life" now or what?
  2. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    They are very important, although less so now because of the bootrom exploit limera1n uses.

The exploit it uses itself is tethered (meaning you have to plug it into a computer and run limera1n again every time you reboot). However, it is made untethered by a userland exploit from comex. This userland exploit can (and will) get patched by Apple very easily, unlike the unpatchable bootrom exploit at the core of limera1n.

What SHSH's do is allow you to downgrade to previous firmwares. For example, say you are on 4.1, and you want to downgrade to 4.0. If you have your SHSH stored for 4.0, you can downgrade to it at anytime you want. If yu don't, you can't.

Now the SHSH's and the tetheredness of limera1n impact each other slightly. Since limera1n is made untethered by comex's patchable exploit, it can and will become tethered in the near future. If you wanted an untethered jailbreak, those SHSH files allow you to downgrade to a firmware that supports an untethered jailbreak.

In conclusion, always, ALWAYS back up your SHSH, be it either in Cydia or on your own computer via Tiny Umbrella.
  3. Ruffdraft

Ruffdraft New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So the way they could patch it would be in 4.2. So if i downgraded back to 4.1 or stay at 4.1 it will stay untethered?

Also i did save my SHSH with TU but i wouldnt even know what to do with them when the situation arises but im sure a search or two can remedy that.

You know what i love about you guys. No matter how redundant or noobish the questions may seem you guys are always more than glad to share your knowledge and help a fellow IPT user out. This is one of the most accomedating forums ive ever visted. Kudos ladies and gentlemen.
  4. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    If you downgraded back to 4.1 and rejailbroke and used the current tool, it would be untethered. Whereas on 4.2 if it were patched, this would be tethered. Though you have to wait for the tool to be updated in order to jailbreak using pwned-for-life, though it takes less time to be updated then to create an entirely new tool for a new exploit.
  5. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah, it usually takes about 1-2 days to update the tool, at max a week.