Are scan line-type lines normal on the 2G Display?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Theopolitan, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Theopolitan

Theopolitan New Member

Hi Folks,

I just received my first iPod Touch this week, a 2nd Gen 32G. I didn't know quite what to expect as I have never touched nor even seen one of these in real life.

It instantly seems like something I would never want to be without; what an awesome device. I thought it would replace my trusty old Palm m515. As it turns out, it doesn't just just replcae it; it crushes, stomps, incinerates, and send its ashes into outer space.

I am just having one caveat with the device that seems to be increasingly detracting from my enjoyment of it, and I'd like to know if it's the norm for these devices or if I should persue some kind of service work.

It has what appear to be dancing scan lines or interlace lines in the display. In landscape mode they are quite apparent. The only way they are not visible is when I set the Touch down, and hold my eyes totally still, and nothing can be moving on the Touch screen. Otherwise the lines, which run horizontally across the screen, are highly visible especially on grey colors such as the Settings screens and the address bar in Safari. They are always there but simply stand out more against grey tones. When sliding through pages in the app launcher the effect is clearly seen as the scrolling app icons leave interlace-style jaggy trails behind them as the move.

It definitely relates to the focus of my eyes and movement on the screen, but I don't see this on my iPod Nano, camera, or other smal device screens.
    I can imagine some people might not notice this at all, but to me it's very prevalent and distracting. The interlacing, or scan lines, or whatever it actually is, is not visible on blacks, and is very difficult to see if the brightness is at the lowest setting.

As a side note, I also notice that my screen is totally blue when seen from an angle. This surprised me because I had read that Apple changed them to a yellow tint. Defintely no yellow here, but very much blue. I don't mind that at all, it's just a surprise after reading that all the new units were tinted yellow.

So is this how all these units are?
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've never seen the scan lines before. You might want to get it replaced by Apple.
    And I believe that after a certain point, they switched the screen tints to blue.
  3. StAR-Bhoy

StAR-Bhoy New Member

dose it look anyhing like mine did?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Theopolitan

Theopolitan New Member

Hmm, well that picture is really tiny and I can't make it out, but it looks like the screen is really washed out there. Mine is not like that at all. It is very crisp and clear, vibrant and bright, but it has very distracting dancing scan lines in it. I can't get a photograph of it but my eyes pick it up strongly. Blacks, contrast, color, everything is really brilliant but these "scan lines" are very distracting looking. I just found some pictures of PSP units with scan line problems and it looks just like that. Like watching interlaced video on a digtal display.
  5. Freshmilk1

Freshmilk1 New Member

That sounds really odd. I've got a 16gb 2G iPod touch that I've had for a few months now, and I've never seen anything like that. However, I've had a PSP for nearly four years, and whilst I've never incurred it myself, I know of the various display problems that can occur. If it's to do with dead or stuck pixels, then you could try some quick fixes such as Pixel Fixing browser sites, or a Physical fixing method as outlined by this guide; However, if I were you, I'd contact Apple and have them reapir or replace it whilst it's still got a warrenty. Good luck with that.
  6. StAR-Bhoy

StAR-Bhoy New Member

dose it look like a line or two of pixiel are just spazing out and just blink? 'cause i had somthing like that happen on mine too, i needed to send it back to apple, (getting it back on monday) thats how mine was, i got it to do what you said basicly, and it only spazzed out on light coloured screens, setting, mail, and things like those. apple knows about the problem, although it takes like 2 weeks, unless you have a apple store near you, also if you still have the slip you should be able to bring it back to the store you got it at.
  7. Valgua

Valgua New Member

You should definitively have it replaced. I got my youch 8gb a few days ago and I can't see any scan lines. The graphics is perfect.
  8. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I bought one yesterday, it had really bad scanlines. I exchanged that today, and this one still has scanlines, albeit fainter. I'm guessing Apple switched screen manufacturers recently; apparently they switched to a really sh*tty one. I'm not sure if I should try exchanging this one.
  9. Theopolitan

Theopolitan New Member

I took my Touch into my local Mac store (not an official Apple store, there are none in my region) and the technician there took one look at my screen and immediately said I should call Apple for service. I called Apple and barely could get one sentence out about lines in the display before they wanted to just replace it. So that's what's happening now. The iPod Touch in the store had the lines too, but I probably would not have seen them had I not been looking because I had to try really hard. When I put mine next to the store model, the scan line effect was effortlessly visible. The store model did not exhibit the interlace-style effect when scrolling through applications, even though it did have faint scan lines - which is probably all related to the same thing. Obviously I'll be very disappointed if the replacement is just as bad, but I'm hoping that if it also has the lines that it is at least no worse than that store model I saw.