Are My ROMs hiding?

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by AlexG2490, Feb 21, 2010.

1. AlexG2490

AlexG2490 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello all! I know this is a long post but it seems that it's usually important to be as detailed as possible in describing a situation like this.

I updated my jailbroken iTouch from 3.0 to 3.1.3 today. I only had a couple of jailbroken apps - Categories and the GBA and NES emulators - so I didn't mind having them lost and having to redownload them. I therefore did an update to 3.1.3 through iTunes (NOT a restore) without deleting Cydia apps first, thus keeping all my data for my App Store Apps and losing only my Cydia apps. All as expected so far.

I then re-jailbroke by using the methodology outlined at this link. I was able to reinstall Cydia, Categories, and the emulators without trouble.

Now here's where the problems come in. First, the NES app starts for just a second then crashes back to the homescreen. Secondly, there's space missing on my device I can't account for. I have 10.5 BG free of 14.5 GB. Of that:

1.5 GB are apps (as determined by checking the size of my Mobile Applications folder on my C: drive)
    .8 GB are made up of e-books
    .2 GB are made up of videos

iTunes doesn't report any "Other" things on the device - it lists all my used space as apps (about 3 GB). But the numbers from Windows Explorer just don't add up. I think I read something about a firmware update writing over the baseband (whatever that is) and that this could cause files to be invisible but still take up space. I used WinSCP to SSH into the device but there isn't a ROMs folder in the Media directory, so I wasn't sure.

To recap for those skipping to the bottom:
    1. NES app crashes after a few seconds
    2. There is space I can't account for that is missing on the device.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... the .8 GB of E-books are in the form of .doc and .pdf synced through Documents to Go. I DO have some other e-books through Stanza, WattPad, Kindle, and Barnes and Noble E-reader's apps, but I wouldn't think a handful of titles (only about 45) would amount to 1.5 gigs when I have about 1000 e-books through Docs to Go breaking less than a gig.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would recommend starting fresh. Do a Restore and set it up as a new iPod.

The only (and probably biggest) problem I'd see you having would be documents in Documents to Go.
  3. AlexG2490

AlexG2490 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Eek! Are there any other suggestions out there? I don't want to seem ungreatful for your suggestion, but I worked everything around NOT doing a restore so I could keep my data... passwords I have stored in my password app, fuel economy on my car, stored addresses in the map applications, and all my settings are all locked into the device. Plus there's all those books I would have to download again...

I mean, I'll do the restore if I absolutely have to, but I really would rather save it as a last resort.