Are iPhone replacements refurbished?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raEEv3, Sep 7, 2008.

1. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    so I'm getting my iPhone 3g replaced by at the apple store sometime next week, just wondering if they give me refurbishd iPhones or brand new ones in that exchange box. And for anyone who got their iPhones replaced before at the apple store, do they activate it before you come or while your here? And is the box wrapped in a shrink wrap
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    My experience is no box but a new phone activated to your account while you are there.
  3. Ulysses_609

Ulysses_609 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Umm well one time my mom got hers exchanged and they opened a cabinet and brought out a slim white box (no shrink wrap) and asked for her iPhone and took the SIM card out and popped it in the new one and started the activation process.
  4. SALAH100

SALAH100 New Member

no its not new
  5. tytiiiore

tytiiiore New Member

Knows the future

just my two centsbump  Knows the future  Nasreddin was cutting a branch of a tree in his garden. While he was sawing, another man passed in the street. He stopped and said,“Excuse me, but if you continue to saw that branch like that, you will fall down with it.”He said this because Nasreddin was sitting on the branch and cutting it at a place between himself and the trunk of the tree.  Nasreddin said nothing. He thought,“This is some foolish person who has no work to do and goes about telling other people what to do and what not to do.”  The man continued on his way.  Of course, after a few minutes, the branch fell and Nasreddin fell with it.  “My God!”he cried.“That man knows the future!”and he ran after him to ask how long he was going to live. But the man had gone. FFXI Gil,everquest plat,eq2 plat,eq2 gold,everquest platinum,
  6. River

River New Member

^^ Someone had a little too much sumtin today...
  7. serjen

serjen New Member

Nope it'll be a refurb, unlucky
  8. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

UM i got a perfectly new iphone 3g when i replaced mine...
  9. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You don't know if it is new or not. Most likely it is refurbished. Refurbished are just as good as new though because they have been sent back to Apple for testing, cleaning, etc. All refurbished phones do not have scratches or any wear marks at all.
  10. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

the genius that swapped my iPhone a couple of days ago said no, the 3G hasn't been out long enough for refurbs to be distributed to the retail stores yet. but, the truth is, no one really knows. the best way to tell is to check your serial number. Apple always assigns new serials to their refurbs. for the 1st gen, any serial # starting with 5K denoted a refurb. i've had several replacement units from a few different Apple stores, and one store's stock had serials that began with 5K. though, an Apple moderated on their discussion boards posted that 5K doesn't necessarily mean a refurb anymore.

basically, its a pretty safe bet that if your serial # starts with 88, 86, 8x etc. its new. the reason they come in the white boxes is to save on costs, not because they are refurbs. there's no reason for replacements to come in the retail box with all the accessories when all Apple does is swap the unit.