Are 3g iPod touches physically identical to the 2g??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ageis1, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ageis1

ageis1 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey guys,
    I was just wondering whether physically the iPod touch 3g is the same as the 2g. I am looking at buying an iPod dock, but they don't mention about iPod touch 3g compatibility. If the dock is compatible with the 2g iPod touch, would it be safe to assume that it is compatible with the 3g?
    Thanks guys

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Externally, they're identical.
  3. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Which means it is physically identical to the iPod touch 2G.
  4. hampstenj

hampstenj New Member

well I was at the applestore at West County Center in St louis today buying my touch and I asked that question. the first Apple guy didn't know for sure, however I quickly found out from another worker who was near him that yes physically 2g ipod touch and the 3rd gen are the same. In fact you won't find very many items for the 3rd gen ipod touch in stores. most of them are either iphone or 2nd gen.
  5. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    actually not, because the 32GB and the 64GB models have different hardware, so it makes them PHYSICALLY different, virtually is a different beast, but EXTERNALLY are the same iPod
  6. 4NewHop3

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    But if if you were talking about hardware differences, wouldn't you say virtually different not physically different?
  7. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it could be both, because different hardware means different sotware *in most cases*, and since its different hardware its physically different

depends how deep you look into it

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. S0VEREIGNTY

S0VEREIGNTY New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol i think the OP's question boils down to if 2G accessories will work with 3G ipt's. With shells(case, cover, whatever you wanna call it-- the plastic sh*t that goes on the outside to protect), yes. The cover I bought was made for 2G's but works perfectly with my 3G. Docks and Speakers? I tried my friend's speaker dock(the dock was made for the old ass ipods with clickwheels) with my 3G and the speakers work, but it wouldn't charge-- I'm not sure if this is true for 2G's though.

The shape, and the buttons on the outside of the ipt 3G are the same as the 2G. even though there SHOULD be a goddamn camera in this thing.
  9. 4NewHop3

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    There shouldn't be a camera on the iPod touch IMO.

If you want a camera get a point and shoot camera, but if you are into photography like me get a DSLR camera.
  10. hitachiota

hitachiota New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only difference is that the backlight is different (LED) and the new firmware.