Archos 605 vs Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Abztrakt, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Abztrakt

Abztrakt New Member

Well it basically comes down to lots of function and little design to lots of design to little function. Which is better in reality? I know this is the ipot fans forum which will make it biased. I just want to know who would consider archos as a nice product worthy of being called competition to the touch. I had the archos 605 and I hated the sound quality, liked the video, HATED the plugin necessities.
    Ipot:For price it comes down to 329.99 (CDN) which would supply you with 8gb of space, 640x480 screen (I think), gorgeus unscratchable screen,smudgy screen, cloth, plastic crap

Please Register or Log in to view images

, and AWESOME tech support is included

. Video support includes mp4, .mov, MPEG-4 . H264 (w.e that is). Audio: Lots

. NIce wifi but no flash YET, with youtube.
    Archos: 329.99 (CDN) you get 30gb 800x480 screen, semi unscratchability, no smudge screen, stylus, giant buttons on the side lol, crashes and freez ups, No wi-fi without plug in. A bit thick( just a tad *sarcasm intended). Hard to pull out of pcket due to thickness. So what do you say.
    Feedback please
  2. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    archos = the worst hardware in the world, i went through a few of them and they're all crap to the highest degree, but a hell of a lot of features.

ipod = the best hardware out there, really, it usually lasts the longest, but in features they could use some add-ons (lol).

Cheers,
    Ben.
  3. Abztrakt

Abztrakt New Member

Well, hardware wise it's ok but the stupid software is so horrible. And they are bad with marketing. WHY, tell me why would someone just make it so hard to obtain the net IT SHOULD BE FREEEEE. Organization of movies music and such is quit nasty. I've had to re-calibrate my screen about 2 times a day it pissed me off when the screen couldn't respond much.
  4. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I just went through this analysis and chose the Apple iPod Touch. I was a little worried about the overall quality of the Archos product but that may be just my personal perception based on Internet forums.

I liked the Archos because it has a larger screen, DVR capabilities and plays more video formats (with optional - $$- plug-ins). I liked the Apple because I find iTunes to be very easy to use with my iPOD Shuffle, I liked the form factor and I liked the idea of charging the iPOD via USB port.

Even though the Archos will charge through the USB port it appears that they designed the unit to use one of the (added $$) docking stations for charging purposes. I don't want to have to carry anything more than a cable around if necessary.

For me the ultimate decision came down to the following: First, I decided that I don't need the DVR functionality at an additional $80 for the dock plus the plug-ins I'd need for various video formats. I have a Tivo and can dump Tivo recordings right into the iPOD. Second, I felt that I could get sufficient video content either from iTunes or by converting my DVD library. I don't see the Touch as replacing my DVD player or holding my entire collection so the 16G limitation of the Touch wasn't an issue. Last but not least I use my Shuffle for listening to music and the Archos gets low marks for it's music capability (static in the headset etc..)

Since I had about $300 in Amazon gift certs with expedited shipping I only had to pay $112 out of pocket for the Touch. Plus the Touch is "cool".

I think you have to decide what you want from a PMP and if you need more video features, or like the larger screen or want the DVR features then go with the Archos. If you just need a good music player and would like to have a couple of movies along for the ride then maybe the Touch will meet your needs.

Good Luck
  5. ywc19

ywc19 New Member

Also - what's more important to you? Having flash memory or having a large hard drive? Flash memory pros: no skips, higher speed, uses less battery power, allows for a thinner player, and is possibly more stable. Hard drive pros: much higher storage capacity, cheaper per gb, will still last a long time.

And there have been several tests done on various ipods (e.g., the 1st gen nano and the iphone) to see how much abuse they could take before they stopped functioning. Bottom line is they're almost indestructible. Even the screen survived being run over by a car, dropped from (I think) 6 feet onto concrete, etc, though the 1st gen nano screen did crack but was still functional. The iPhone and iTouch screens are even tougher and very difficult to scratch.

Here's 1 iPod con - when the rechargeable battery effectively dies, you'll have to either pay about $60 or $70 to ship it to Apple for a replacement (and reinstall everything), or you can try to buy a replacement battery and install it yourself. I've tried it with my 1st gen nano - it's not that easy and I've accidentally snapped off one of the internal tabs.

As you can see, many of us on this forum are biased (as has been pointed out, since this is an iPod forum) towards iPods over other players.
  6. tempest

tempest New Member

Archos-
    Pros-Bigger higher resolution screen, plays almost anything, lots of accessories, DVR
    Cos - Ugly form factor- Needs $100 worth of plugins - Poor GUI

I Pod touch
    Pros- Slickest device money can buy
    Cons- Crippled functionality, no legacy accessory support.

I own Archos and have Touch on order. The more I read about Touch's limitations the more resevations I am having. I hope holding a Touch in my hand makes it worthwhile.
  7. iTyler

iTyler New Member

trust me when you finally get yours and hold it in your hands and feel how high quality and ease of functionaliity you will never use the archos again
  8. jasonweaver

jasonweaver New Member

I would choose the IPod Touch of the archos simply because of the great customer service.

My old 5th gen ipod went thru the washer =( (it was in my brothers pants so i didnt check the pockets) and i went to apple and told them i dont know why its not working lol i feel bad lying but i got a replacement ipod that day
  9. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I had a archos 604 wifi before going to the ipod touch. I got it because of space and wifi. It was out before the touch. I had a ipod video from ipodsweepstakes that i got circuit city to return.
    You could not play videos that worked on your ipod without paying 20 buck
    The web browser crashed, and had no plugin support. No youtube, or meebo.
    it had a sluggish processer
    no multi touch
    and with music you couldent go look for a new song while music was playing

It really was a crappy device!
  10. 3CKO

3CKO New Member