[APPSTORE: WeDict Pro] URL Sources.

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by mofolo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mofolo

mofolo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey Guys,

If your like me - you'd be pretty pissed off with WeDict Pro, There are no URLs on the net anywhere!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to stumble upon http://wedict.unlockitfree.com

This is around 5 URL sources from StarDict and more sources are being added!

Anyway, hopefully this will give our money's worth.

Thanks.
  2. JAD

JAD New Member

I can only get Wordnet, mobey and merrianwebster working from this site; the rest seem to install and come up in the dictonary list, but never do anything. I've tried everything to get wedict pro to accept some dictionaries including downloading them from sourceforge, unpacking them and repacking the required two files in a .zip and uploading them to a website to download. I've tried uploading them to the creators site. Nothing works. Maybe because I'm using a PC??

I really want the Etymology dictionary and the Collaborative international dictionary as I use it at work (or did, on the cydia version before I got a 2G!) Does anyone know where I can get a working link for those two??

Any help appreciated.
  3. wcdeo1

wcdeo1 New Member

there is a website..but its illegal to talk about that here ..because they offer you dict's which are under copyright.. but if you google....and if you google the right way - you'll find what you need for almost all languages!! belive me
  4. JAD

JAD New Member

I FINALLY got it to work. The bloody stars must've alligned.
    Here is how for all the other unfortunate souls:
    If on a mac, follow the dev's page.

Please Register or Log in to view images

If on a PC, download 7-Zip from sourceforge.
    Download the .tar.bz2 files such as stardict-dictd_www.dict.org_gcide-2.4.2.tar.bz2
    Decompress. Once you have 7-Zip you can right click and extract using it, much like with winzip etc.
    Keep extracting, takes about four goes to get everything. Remember to extract the .dict.dz file until it is just a .dict file.
    Ctrl click the .dict and .idx file and use 7-Zip to zip it.
    Upload your .zip file to your homepage server. (or you can try the upload page at the developers site)
    Download your file using the url; if you know how to upload it you know how to download it.
    Note: It seems to be very important to use 7-Zip for this. I presume it keeps the file integrity/format the Mac uses. When I tried this using four or five other zip/unzip utilities, it would NOT work. You could uncompress, recompress and even download it but the ipod wouldn't unzip it.

Good luck, gang.
    PS, if you're going to upload the raw .dict and .idx files, be aware that you should RENAME the .dict file once you upload it to your fileserver. Mine attached an invisible .txt tag so the file was actually called .dict.txt but you couldn't see the .txt part. After I renamed the file whatever.dict I could download it to the ipod touch. Your milage may vary.

I must say this is a lot of sweat and bother just to get some dictionaries on the wedict pro. Of all the aps I have or have had on my 1G or 2G this has been the biggest PITA!
  5. jorgex2000

jorgex2000 New Member

Is this source for installer?
  6. Daiyama

Daiyama New Member

if anybody knows what he is talking about, please pm me.

Please Register or Log in to view images