[AppStore Review] - Readdledocs

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by zh_Denis, Jan 19, 2009.

1. zh_Denis

zh_Denis New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you are familiar with the popular iPhone App “AirSharing”, they you will understand the basic principle of Readdle Docs. However, after using Readdle Docs for a while, I have to say I prefer it over AirSharing. Readdle Docs provides an easy way to access files from your personal iDisk, any public iDisk and any other WebDav online storage. It also offers iPhone to iPhone file sharing, email attachment viewing (more on that below), and a browser for downloading files. It supports many popular file formats, including PDF and Microsoft Office created with Word (doc, docx), Excel (xls, xlsx) and Powerpoint (ppt, pptx).

First, I’ll talk about the online storage. Besides offering access to your iDisk and any other WebDav storage, Readdle Docs comes with a free 512 MB file storage account over at readdle.com. When you make the account and enter the information in the Readdle Docs app, it will automatically add a unique email address to your contacts with the name “Readdle Mail In”. Whenever you receive an email with an attachment, and would like to store it on your iPhone, just forward it to that address, and it will be stored on your Readdle disk. Then you can just open up Readdle Docs and view the document. You can even send that file in an email as an attachment, from within the app!

When viewing files on any of your stored disks (Readdle disk, iDisk, other WebDav), you can download them to your iPhone for viewing offline. Once they are downloaded, you can bookmark your position in a document (great for long documents) and send the file as an attachment. All your stored files can be sorted into folders and moved around so that everything is organized. However, you cannot currently add files to your iDisk from the app. One other thing is that you can access and upload/download files from your Readdle Disk online by logging in to your (free) account at http://readdle.com .

Another great feature in Readdle Docs is its browser. You can navigate to a web address, and download a linked file to your iPhone…but thats not the best part. Say your in safari, and there is a word document you really want to download, but the url is incredibly long–too long for you to remember. Well, all you have to do is tap on the URL field in Safari, and put an “r” right at the beginning of the url (so it would say rhttp://), hit go, and the file will load and download into Readdle Docs!

Besides all of those great features, Readdle Docs also has the ability to require a passcode at the apps launch and turning your iPhone into a Wi-Fi Network Drive.

All of these feature combined creates an absolutely amazing application. I have removed AirShairing from my iPod Touch, because Readdle Docs offers more features, and works just as well. Readdle Docs is available for $9.99 in the App Store.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. phategunner

phategunner New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Nice review. I've decided to give this app a try. =)

What I liked so far besides those that you've mentioned is that, I get to see the progress bar when i'm uploading. I hate that Air sharing does not have it.

Cheers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Its a pity that I cannot upload files through web browsers unlike Air Sharing.
    Hopefully it can be an added on feature soon.
  3. DSync

DSync New Member

Does it have a built-in image viewer with image preview (thumbnail)? Will it lag when scrolling through a comic .pdf (~10MB) files and .ppt files? I'm currently trying to decide to buy either Files or Readdledocs.
  4. phategunner

phategunner New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It lags when scrolling through my pdf magazine.
  5. rhype

rhype New Member

Too bad it's mostly one direction

What I don't get and may have totally missed is that you can't upload files from this app back to your iDisk? How does that make sense? What's worse is that Readdle's other product called OneDisk allows for transfers too and from your iDisk. Why did they strip that function from this almost perfect app? And don't bother making the mistake I made and buy both or all three (Take a Note) because none use the same iPhone storage space which means you'll need to keep three copies of everything if you hope to really manage your files.

Best thing to do is wait and see if Documents To Go comes through with a great product.
  6. zh_Denis

zh_Denis New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Actually you're not right, One Disk has not ability to upload files, you missed someting or didn't even look through. So far, Readdledocs is one of the most used application for me.

I've been looking for some other way to transfer files from my PC to iPhone using Readdledocs without wifi router and found next.
    Here is instrucrion how to do it:
    XP are here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

Windows Vista here: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...bd5dc1033.mspx

OS X here: http://www.macworld.com/article/4665...mobilemac.html

After you create the network on your iPhone go to settings then wifi connect to the network you just created with your computer. Open ReaddleDocs, switch to Online tab and you will see the IP address of your phone on the top bar. Open up web browser and type in the IP address (dont forget the port number eg. 169.254.223.67:8080) and you will see the Readdledocs page.

To add files on Windows XP:
    -My Network Places
    -Add Network Plae
    -Choose other network connection
    -Click next
    -Type in your iPhone IP address
    -Click Open this network place when I click finish
    -If you setup password you will be asked for it
    -Your done, just copy files to your iPhone

To add files on Windows Vista:
    -Click Start/Computer
    -Right-click in Computer window select Add a Network Location
    -Follow Wizard, choose another custom network, click next
    -Type Readdledocs IP (this is IP of your iPhone) don’t forget the port

8080)
    -Type in password if required
    -Click open network place when I click finish
    -Click finish, your done

OS X
    -Click Finder icon
    -Click Go (from menu bar) and connect to server
    -Type in Readdledocs (iPhones IP address) with port number

8080)
    -Done… to easy!
    Rino.GM is offline Reply With Quote
  7. namethatscleverandironic

namethatscleverandironic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Might somebody be able to confirm whether or not the ReaddleDocs app is able to support extra large graphic heavy pdfs that approach like up to 50 or even 150mb? I've some magazine scans that are around 50mb or just over that cause my Files Lite app to crash when trying to scroll through them. I've even got a scan of a Taschen Architecture book that is maybe close to 400mb, but I can understand that it may be asking too much to carry something like that.
    Basically I'd like to know if this has any better capabilities in viewing large graphics heavy files over a free option like the Files app. Thanks if anyone can help!

8. andysherman

andysherman Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    good review
  9. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so this app basicaly allows you to... upload files from your device, and to your dvice?

10. The Checker

The Checker New Member

thank you for the nice review.
    i´ll try the app..