Appstore Apps on 1.1.4!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by shawkinsl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shawkinsl

shawkinsl New Member

Another failed attempt at appstore apps on 1.1.4

hey guys, i'm Shawkinsl, and i'm relatively new here. i have some (maybe) shocking news for any of you developers out there willing to take a crack at this one. heres what i've accomplished. I've downloaded a few apps from the appstore (via itunes) and managed to make them show up on the homescreen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

if you are questioning my credibility, you can check me out over at ipodwizard, i started (but didnt quite finish) a few hacks ovfer there after being a member for only about 7 months and i learn pretty fast. anyways onward with the discovery: i've managed to make the applications show up on the homescreen, but whenever i attempt to launch one all it does it freezes up and after about 4 or 5 seconds resprings. i am well aware that the apps are supposedly apple DRM encoded, but it would appear thet they have the same build as current installer apps, in the fact that they come in an [appname].app format, but along with a iTunesMetaData.plist file. i'va attached the "AIM" application .plis file along with this post for any coders who want to take a crack at this. (its in a zip folder) and it has my screenname that i "purchased" it from apple with. i dont know if this file needs to go into the ipod somewhere or if it has anything to do with it, but i'll include it anyways.

onward to the how-to:
    all i did was download a free app from the appstore, right click it and click show in windows browser and then open it as a zip file. it revealed the aforemention files in a folder called "Payload". this is also where the "AIM.app" folder was located. then i just ssh'ed into the ipod and copied the AIM.app folder inot the applications folder. easy as pie.

i hope i'm not wasting the DEV's time here giving already known knowledge, but i figured that i mgiht as well share it if it brought us any closer to getting appstore apps on jailbroken pods. thanks for taking time to look at this, and i'm hoping this will get to the big well-known dev's whom i dont know since i'm relatively new here.

I hope i can be a great help to the community in the future, and i'll be posting any progress i make as i make it. good luck everyone!

--Shawkinsl

Attached Files:

2. FrankXpk

FrankXpk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  3. shawkinsl

shawkinsl New Member

well it doesnt work yet. i'm trying to figure out what it is that keeps it from loading up. pardon my noobiness, but it may be incompatible with 1.1.4... at least its a start?? like i said i dont know if the major devs have found this out yet or not, so hopefully i'm not reciprocating already failed attempts at this. appstore has only been out for a few days tho, so maybe just maybe it may come to something.
  4. Kunster

Kunster New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    it would be awesome if the apps worked XD

5. shawkinsl

shawkinsl New Member

yes thats the point. i'm hoping a knowledgable dev will find this and figure out how to do just that xP lol
  6. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think that this might be as far as you're going to get. While yes, you might be able to get the apps to show up on the Springboard, I don't think you'll be able to get them to run. 2.0 apps are based on a completely different programming language from what I understand, which is why 1.1.whatever apps will not run on 2.0. Similarly, 2.0 apps won't run on 1.1.whatever since the iPod simply can not understand the code that they are in. You would need to reprogram the apps so that they would work on it.
  8. shawkinsl

shawkinsl New Member

ok.. thanks for letting me know.. sorry for working some of you guys up for nothing, and please excuse my nubiness ;]
  9. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Of course it shows on the SpringBoard, it's an app.

Getting it to run however, is a completely different story.
  10. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

One word:
    FRAMEWORKS.