Appstore and Installer - Tired of people bagging Appstore

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Spartigus, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey
    I have been reading alot of topics about how bad the Appstore is compared to installer. Well they are not correct, so here is my argument.

If you remember, with installer, every new app you installed, you would have to set permissions, create symlinks and a whole host of other fixes, only to find that App runs but 5 others don't. Yes the apps were good, and the installer app was good, but there were no standards and anyone could add things to installer. Even when people wrote apps, even though they were good, they didn't always follow certain standards to prevent instability. Also any random could make a repo and put any app they wanted on, even one that could harm your ipod.

Now with Appstore, Apple have created a set of standards and rules to insure the apps would not damage the ipod (even though it meant sacrificing some apps like SMB and customize) but they also did it to protect themselves, so every person who cant use customize doesn't get a SWOD every time they make a mistake in customize and come winging to Apple. Now Appstore is very good, only Apple has control of what goes in it, ensuring people dont distribute pirated and dangerous apps, also the developers had to pay to create apps, meaning only serious developers will make programs for the Appstore. Every time you install an app with the Appstore, it wont need lots of tweaks to work, if it doesn't work, the developer will fix it in a professional manner, but the chances are, it will work.

Now saying that, installer did have some great apps, but there was no regulation with them meaning there were alot of apps that needed tweaking and all sorts of things. Whereas the apps on the appstore, even thoguh alot cost money, they are worth it for the stability and customer support.

Now i ask you, what do you want? Appstore which has regulations and rules, but the apps will practically always work, they wont need tweaks and are of high quality. But it wont have some apps like customize and summberboard. Or installer where there were thousands of apps, 99% were free but they most needed tweaks and fixes and often caused problems on your ipod.

Post your comments

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You make great points, and as time goes on, the App Store and its applications will improve. It's just been launched, so cut it some slack.

I enjoyed the jailbreak experience, but the constant maintenance eventually got to me.
  3. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    the appstore app is great. The thing that isnt so great, but neccesairy, are apples restrictions.
  4. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    however, apple's own apps still crash and dont work....so its the same
  5. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    agree with you 100 %
    the installer was crashing always with the annoying refreshing
    and something about the updates wasnt working right so the perimisions
    a lot of uselless and annoying with no use
    i dont say the app store has too some uselless apps but they arent just a font and few words they are toys
    the updates are fine and with problems FIXED
    and c mon is just 1 or 2 weeks that appstore has came out

Please Register or Log in to view images

in the future a lot of apps will be added
  6. iphoneboob

iphoneboob New Member

appstore

i've had to re-download my apps 3 times now because they kept opening and crashing back to springboard, and had to restore 3g iphone 4 times already. I never had all these probs with my 1gen jailbroken 1.1.4 iphone thank god i kept it.
  7. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I do think the Appstore will be great.

I also see some people have some problems with their apps, not sure what the deal is with it.... I would contact Apple maybe.

I also do agree, both appstore and installer have useless apps, but they are still fun to play with.

It will be great when 2.0 is jailbroken and we will those apps Apple doesn't want.
  8. soccerpro100cn

soccerpro100cn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ok I like the appstore more. Any program that doesn't require me to wait 10 minutes for a source refresh is better than installer. And at least apps on the appstorre must provide pics of the app in use. With installer, you had to guess if an app was crap or not.
  9. Covenant550

Covenant550 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    appstore will definetely improve over time. with the new 2.0 jailbreak tho appstore and installer can co-exist so everyones happy
  10. UncleChuckle

UncleChuckle New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Installer was terrible. It always felt like it was held together with spit and duct tape. Appstore isn't perfect, but to say installer is better is nonsense. Installer was extremely inefficient in the way it refreshed sources. It was unstable. It would randomly stop working so i had to SSH in to fix it...

Installer was exactly what I'd expect for free, and we got what we paid for.