Appsniper -- What's the big deal??

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Dave C, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Can someone please explain to me what's the big deal with Appsniper?
    What does it do that you can't do for yourself on the internet for free?
    I just want to understand why so many people say it's saving them money when they could have found out about sales on other sites. Is it quicker? Does it find apps that aren't shown on other sites? What is it?? I wanna know! Please someone explain to me what's up with this application.

Also, if you own a Touch, is this app less valuable than if you own an iPhone?
  2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ye same.. i wanna know to!
  3. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ...convenience, what else.

Maybe you have a disposable income and a gun and you "fancy" you are smarter than everyone else.
  4. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Since no one else is responding, I guess I'm left with no choice but to agree with you.

Does anyone who owns this app have anything positive to say about it?
    I mean, it's got great reviews in the App Store, but I just want to understand why......
  5. coder0000

coder0000 New Member

Disclosure: I'm the AppSniper developer.

It's true that a lot of this information is also available through various RSS feeds and websites, but it's simply not convenient visiting multiple sources or trying to keep up with the flood of changes. Having a native app also provides for more flexibility, reduced data transfer and better performance.

Since it's running on your device, everything is customized to improve your user experience. From simple things like highlighting all of the new additions and price drops from the last time you ran the app, to being able to select genre filters, or view the price in different currencies.

Another objective is to reduce the firehose of new apps and updates to a manageable level that is of interest to you. If you don't care about the books category, just turn it off. We are adding additional filtering options to further reduce the list. For example the next version allows you to ban developers. If some guy is releasing a translation app for every language under the sun and you don't care for it, just ban him and none of his apps will show up.

One of the best features is the "Snipe" option. This lets you select an app and choose a target price. If the app ever drops to that price or below, it will notify you. One of the issues with RSS feeds is that with over 100+ apps coming out every day, and a similar number of sales + updates happening all the time, it's difficult to constantly monitor and keep up. With the snipe feature, you select the apps that are of interest to you, and the app will identify these sales and automatically flag them for you. This makes it much less cumbersome than constantly reviewing RSS feeds or going to a website every hour to make sure you don't miss anything.

We've just submitted a new version to Apple today, and are already starting to work on the next round of features. We've got a long list of ideas that we'd like to implement and are fully open to suggestions from the public. If you have ideas on how this app can be improved, please let us know!
  6. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    here's a suggestion - make it a free app, and put a banner ad in there instead.
  7. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Thank you coder0000, I very much appreciate your honesty and time to respond.

I agree that the feature that sounds the most enticing is the "snipe" option.
    But I have to be honest, that as someone who takes the time to check the app store daily, and other websites/forums, I'm just not sure it's worth it to me.
    Please feel free to convince me otherwise

Please Register or Log in to view images

For example, let's say I want Tetris at $4.99. I assume I can "snipe" it at that price and if/when it gets to that price, I'll be notified upon launch of that app.
    But why should I spend $1.99 on your app when I can just check everyday for the price drop?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative in any way, and not putting your app down, but from what I can tell, it's really just an app of convenience from not having to check multiple sites and feeds.

Again, I don't have this app so can't make suggestions without trying it, but does it email you when your "sniped" app reaches it's desired price?

I have a Touch so am rarely able to use wifi unless at home, but if it could email me at work or something, that would be cool....
    And that's one thing I'm wondering which perhaps you can answer. If I have a Touch and not an iPhone, how is this app useful to me other than the obvious convenience?

Thanks again, I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond.
  8. coder0000

coder0000 New Member

Hi Dave,

I agree that for someone that is constantly monitoring feeds and sites, the need for this program certainly lessens. However, I still feel that AppSniper offers certain convenience features such as the snipe feature. You can certainly check everyday to see if Tetris goes on sale, but what if you had 50 different applications that you thought were of interest? If you can automate the process of checking, it simply makes your life easier and reduces the amount of time you have to spend wading through RSS feeds or websites.

So convenience and filtering of information are certainly two big aspects of the app but we are also going to be adding a bunch of new features that will help you research the apps before you make a purchase. All of the features we're planning COULD be implemented in a website, but as far as I know, nobody is doing them today. Some of these features will be available in the upcoming release, such as price history graphs, and other features will be in the version after that.

We don't currently have email notifications in place, but are planning on adding that feature.

I'm adding a screenshot of a new feature in the upcoming version. This hasn't been posted anywhere else so an exclusive preview for iPod Touch Fans members

So let's say you see this app drop from $7.99 to $3.99. You're wondering: Is that really a good sale price, or not? So you pull up the history and you can see immediately that the app has mostly been selling for the $7.99 mark, briefly dropped down for a couple of days to $5.99 about a month back, but then went back up to the regular price. Now it's down at $3.99 (and you can also see that it has had 3 updates in the last 45 days)

The top of the graph shows that in the last 90 days, the lowest price its hit is $3.99. So yeah.. $3.99 is probably a good sale price for this app.

You will of course find other cases where an app is constantly fluctuating in price, and although they've dropped it from $4.99 to $3.99, the dev has previously lowered it to $1.99 multiple times -- so there's a good chance it will go down to $1.99 again. No problem, set a snipe for $1.99 and when it hits it, AppSniper will let you know.

Attached Files:

9. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    This is sooooo... embarassing. I thought it was the "web app" iSnipe

I am so glad the developer showed up.
  10. Dave C

Dave C New Member

Here's a little friendly advice

Shhh, you didn't have to say anything! heheh No one would have been the wiser!

To the developer, I again really appreciate you taking the time to explain why this app would/could be beneficial. I just want to purchase it to support you....but before I do, what are the chances you're going back down to $.99 in the near future (or free, don't be shy!)?
    Help me "snipe" your app!