Apps icons that dont work...how to delete or fix

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by aussigal, Aug 19, 2010.

1. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I bought a 2nd hand iPhone 2G running OS 3.1.2 with Spirit Jb ... mostly its great...but with me being an iPhone n00b I am still a bit lost.

I have an ipod nano so already had iTunes 9.2.1 on my windows 7 laptop...trouble is this iphone does not seem to like itunes 9.2.1 and syncing has so far been a nightmare, have only been able to do it on an older laptop running XP with an older version of itunes.

The 1st night I attempted to sync like I would have with the nano, itunes confused me, and 9 of the apps on the iphone which are actually free apps from the app store were turned into non-working icons. I attempted to re-download these apps but it wont let me, says they are already downloaded. When I click to open them the fist screenshot comes up but then a second later it goes away and I am looking at my apps all lined up again.

Now my old laptop is being stubborn and not even turning on (which is why I replaced it). I am looking for a solution to get these apps working again. I tried to rollback my itunes on the W7 laptop but it must have some code or something that makes it automatically install the newest itunes version that has ever been on the computer cos it comes back up with version 9.2.1 everytime, even if I install version 8...very frustrating...

All help and suggestions much appreciated...
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Update to 3.1.3. And try downloading them off the App Store on the iPhone.
  3. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    thankyou for your quick answer...
    I thought I was supposed to avoid updating the OS to 3.1.3? wont that undo the jailbreak?...downloading them with the iphone/app store combination was the 1st thing I tried to fix this oops.
  4. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    it'll undo the jailbreak, but you will be able to jailbreak on 3.1.3
  5. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    hmmm...does everything else on the iphone stay where it is if I update to 3.1.3 ? what benefits are there in upgrading to 3.1.3?
    I have never done a JB, it was on it already as were about 20 apps, 9 of which are now inactive.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Came across a new issue today whilst trying again to update the troublesome inactive free apps...for some reason the itunes store kept asking me for the previous users password for itunes?...I thought that info would have been wiped in the JB...anyway around this or is it best to restore to 3.1.2 and re-jailbreak
  6. aussigal

aussigal Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Update....
    thanks to the lovely person who developed CyDelete and the guy I bought the iphone from who had the sense to install it...I was able to make the icons wiggle then delete and re-install them.
    I did not know this function was available and tripped over it when reading through the "recommended Jailbreak Apps" thread...special thanks to Mikec1985 who provides a detailed list with pics.

Thanks to all the good info on this site I was able to learn and fix my problem all by myself...yes I feel proud

Please Register or Log in to view images