Apps for Ipod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jontos, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi.
    I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me.

1. What is a good alternative program (exluding iTunes) that I can use to transfer music, video, apps and files (Word, Pdf's, etc.) to my iPod touch 2G. Also, I would prefer an app that can be run from a jump drive, as most internet cafes won't allow you to install programs to their computers. (I travel a lot world-wide, and most of the world relies on public internet cafes for anything internet and computer-wise)

2. Is it possible to download apps directly from the net to the ipod (bypassing a computer)?

3. Is VLC out yet (or any other multimedia program available)? The built in one is too restrictive (only allows certain video types). I would like to only have to transfer my videos directly to my iPod and enjoy. Not have to wait possibly hours for it to transcode the video. (I'm sure the iPod is technically capable of deciphering video on the fly to the screen size... if 8 year old devices can, so can it).

4. What are quality headsets with mics that you would recommend. I plan to buy one so I can record voice memos.

That's all for now.
    Thanks for all the help.
  2. parklaneyido

parklaneyido New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The only one I can help you with the bypassing a computer one. Your iPod will have the app store built into it already. Providing you have access to wifi, you can download apps from there direct to the iPod.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. What is a good alternative program (exluding iTunes) that I can use to transfer music, video, apps and files (Word, Pdf's, etc.) to my iPod touch 2G. Also, I would prefer an app that can be run from a jump drive, as most internet cafes won't allow you to install programs to their computers. (I travel a lot world-wide, and most of the world relies on public internet cafes for anything internet and computer-wise)

A. Try putting iFUnBox on a USB flash drive. Won't w/o iTune sinstalked on teh host computer though. You'll also need to test if iFunBox will run from a flash.

2. Is it possible to download apps directly from the net to the ipod (bypassing a computer)?

A. Yes, use the Appstore icon on the Springboard - you must have alreday set up an iTunes account on your PC before though.

3. Is VLC out yet (or any other multimedia program available)? The built in one is too restrictive (only allows certain video types). I would like to only have to transfer my videos directly to my iPod and enjoy. Not have to wait possibly hours for it to transcode the video. (I'm sure the iPod is technically capable of deciphering video on the fly to the screen size... if 8 year old devices can, so can it).

A. Don't even bother trying - use the stock video app. The H264 codec is great and the processing power of your device isn't sufficient to get good video under other codecs. You'll need to resize to the ipod touch screen anyway.

4. What are quality headsets with mics that you would recommend. I plan to buy one so I can record voice memos.

A. can't help you there.. try iLounge for reviews.

p.s. check my sig out for some links to some good threads that will help.
  4. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

In regards to the app store, does a person have to tie a computer to their account? I personally wouldn't be able to do that (and I've travelled and lived in enough countries to know that hundreds of millions of people are in the same position I am in... that is, computers are a luxury item, internet access is way too expensive for the home, and we rely on internet cafes and libraries for our internet and computer needs.) If the account on the other hand is no different than having a membership to an email provider (yahoo, msn, goolgemail) or a forum like this, then I would assume that all I'd have to do is log in where ever I may be to perform operations. (downloads, purchases, updates, etc.)

As far as the stock video and photo viewers go... same problem with a majority of mp3/mp4 players out there... they offer too little in terms of compatibility. Thats why I personally have avoided the expensive players all these years... they offered too little in terms of functionality for their price. I've used mp4 players from China that had more capability than most of the mp3/mp4 players from the big companies from the last few years... and they cost so much less. The biggest thing the Ipod Touch has going for it (and the reason I can see it becoming a real powerhouse in the handheld game market) is the ability to freely create our own content and share it. (which should have Nintendo/Sony really scared)
    It's the only reason I was willing to purchase an Ipod Touch 2G... to create my own content.
    The Ipod Touch, based on it's specs, is more than capable of playing back almost any video/audio codec on the fly. If crappy chips from Intel (and I'm referring directly to their Atom processors) are able to playback BluRay HD movies with little problems, well the Touch has almost the same raw processing power. So I want a media player that can playback a majority of the "standard" codecs... so it's more convenient for me to use it on the go... simply transfer a compatible format (AVI, DivX, OGG, MPEG2, etc.) and it's ready.

Thanks again for all the help.
  5. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    There is one thing you can do which is to create a jailbreak for 2g ipod touches then after that use cydia to download dtunes which i think can play many different types of video. But if not then you have to use a video converter to convert to ipod format.

You have your computer with you at all times so I don't see the big deal about converting videos.
  6. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually I don't have my computer with me most of the time. Especially when I travel (which usually ends up being for months at a time). My main access to the internet and a computer is at an internet cafe, or going over to a friend who might have one or the other. I know there are at least a billion people in this world who are in the same position. Trust me, because I've lived in enough countries to know how things really are like.
  7. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ok and those billions of people you are talking about probably have a video converter for their ipod touch. Sorry no way around it bro unless jailbroken.

If you want to download apps just use the appstore on the ipod. You have to create an itunes account though first. You can create an itunes account without a credit card just google it. Then you can download apps while you are in the library or where ever else you mentioned.