Apps Do Not Connect - Belkin Router Issue?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harobbins3, Jan 16, 2008.

1. harobbins3

harobbins3 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First post. I have a Belkin router, model F5D8231-4 V3 (I know, first mistake). The wife's iPod Touch can connect to the web using Safari, but none of the other applications connect. Youtube gives the infamous "cannot connect to youtube" error, maps simply stops trying after a while, as does weather. Security is turned off, mac address filtering is turned on with iPod address added to the list. Registered in iTunes, date and time on iPod are correct. Is this router simply not compatible with her iPod? Anyone else seeing similar problems? Not jailbroken, 1.1.3 firmware, new $20 apps package (she HAD to have them, and some things are not worth arguing over). The thing is all stock. Router has b, g and n compatibility. Conversations with Belkin have gotten nowhere, and were painful. The truly frustrating thing is that all of the apps work fine on a wireless access at the local pub, so it has to be our set up/hardware. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. aznrmx1112

aznrmx1112 New Member

hello there! welcome to the forum!

Please Register or Log in to view images

there are some small things that you can try to do that may help with this situation. that is....if it is a hardware problem.

1. have you tried restarting the router and reconnecting the ipod? sometimes a refreshed connection will solve the problem. a free option.

2. are there any other problems with the router as far as connecting to safari? i had a problem recently where my router was just not able to support the ipod touch, my laptop and the other 2 laptops in my house. this happened due to having them all on at the same time and my laptop and ipod touch being at opposite sides of the house. the solution i came up with was to replace my Dlink router with a newer router with more range coverage. now it isnt a problem. a not so free option.

3. since 1.1.3 is new firmware and it was just recently released, it could be that that you may need to reconfigure some settings to get the programs up and running. possibly check if you could restore the ipod touch to 1.1.3 again and put the programs back on to the ipod. the restore option is free.

maybe this can help you....but if i were in this situation....these are the steps i would try and take. =] hope this helps.
  3. harobbins3

harobbins3 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    azn, thank you for the welcome and the response. Unfortunately, I had already tried what you suggested except for number 3. Although we had the same problem with 1.1.2, I gave 3 a shot anyways, but no joy. I've tried eliminating all other wireless devices, and I have the ipod 2 feet from the router and still no luck. I've turned off mac address control, put the ipod ip in the DMZ so that it's outside the firewall and still got nowhere. It's very frustrating since Safari works fine here and everything else works on the public wifi at the pub, but not here. I believe I'm going to have to break down and get another router. I would try opening ports, but I can't seem to find out what they are for these apps, and Apple's not talking. To be honest, I've had nothing but difficulty with this router from day one. It did not play well with my son's PSP or Xbox either. We finally got it to work, but only by opening a number of specific ports. But as of right now, we can have the Xbox, PSP, another desktop and a laptop all on the wireless along with my desktop wired into the router and they all play well together. Just the ipod's being difficult. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time and offering suggestions. If anyone has an idea as to something else to try, I'm game.

BTW - fantastic forum.