Apps after JB 2.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by zpeakerz, Nov 23, 2008.

1. zpeakerz

zpeakerz New Member

So I know that when I upgrade my 2.1 Jailbroken iPod, all my apps will be gone (though still be i iTunes), but when I install them once again, can I "restore" my iPod backups from the previous 2.1 firmware, so that I'll still have alle save games for example?
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You won't lose your App Store applications after upgrading to Firmware 2.2 and jailbreaking.

Only jailbroken applications are removed.
  3. zpeakerz

zpeakerz New Member

Yeah I know.

But what if I have a jailbroken appin which I've saved in, will I get that save back when I restore the backup from the previous firmware?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    225 views and NO answers? People, please! At least one of you must have asked the same question in your head!
  4. tkp

tkp New Member

I'm trying to find this out also. Some people have said all Apps (jailbroken or not) stay on and continue working after 2.2 JB. Can anyone confirm?

And if not, is it possible to at least backup the saved data somehow so as to restore it after?

Thanks.
  5. MacDevil

MacDevil Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    There are apps on Cydia to backup your saves from both jailbroken and app store apps. The best thing to do is to use the apps to backup your data and then CLEAN RESTORE to the new firmware before jailbreaking again. Using iTunes' upgrade button will cause you to lose space. This is because Cydia takes up ~500MB of space for its files (that's what it is doing when you run it the first time). If you upgrade, you don't get this space back, and then Cydia takes up an ADDITIONAL 500MB of space when you jailbreak again. So, if you keep jailbreaking and upgrading repeatedly, you will notice your storage space decreasing. Also, only upgrading may leave some changes from a previous jailbreak intact, which can lead to strange or sluggish behavior.

Once you have restored to the new firmware and jailbroken again, reinstall the app backup apps from Cydia (there are separate ones for jailbroken and App Store apps I think), follow the instructions and you will be able to restore your data.
  6. Lukinator

Lukinator New Member

MacDevil has the right idea.
    If you want an alternative, go into var/root/library [i think] and copy the file you want to save to your desktop. Once you've re-jailbroken and re-installed the application, put the file you copied out in place of the one you just installed.
    I don't know if this works, but it works for my music and videos on iphppod and MxTube.
  7. tipster27

tipster27 New Member

Just curious

I have no worries when it comes to losing my saves when upgrading my jailbroken 1g 2.1 ipod touch to the new 2.2 firmware, but would there be any way to save my media (songs, movies, etc.) so I wouldn't have to go through the my whole library again and sort out which songs I want to put on my iPod? I've got a really large library I only like to keep my favourites on my touch.
  8. kee

kee New Member

ya, i di that before when i restored my ipod from 1.1.4 to 2.1, i'm not sure what folder it is in on the ipod since i di it a while back but just copy that folder onto your desktop and copy it back once restored, it took a LONG tims to do though, not worth it. for my 16gb ipod it took like 3 hours with total commander just to take them off the ipod
  9. liamizdabest

liamizdabest New Member

If you restore it clears the 500MB, right?