Applications That Crash

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by HedgyHoggy, Mar 23, 2010.

1. HedgyHoggy

HedgyHoggy New Member

This might seem silly, but could someone tell me the basic instructions to making an application that crashes. As in, when you tap the icon, it will show default.png and load the app but nothing will happen and you'll just end up back on the springboard? I'm sure all of you have experienced an application that crashed when you loaded it at some point.

I know there are many ways to get an application to crash. I just want to know the simplest way to do this. I'm planning to put a bunch of these 'crashing apps' in certain 'folders' I made with Categories as an alternative to pressing the Home Button. Yes, this is very lazy, but when I press the Home Button while I'm inside a category, there's this ugly transition in which the screen shrinks, which I dislike very much as I'm a picky person XD.

Thanks for any help. I hope this doesn't sound too complicated.
  2. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ...Yeah you could do that. Or you could install SpringJumps from Cydia and tap an icon to jump to the home page
  3. HedgyHoggy

HedgyHoggy New Member

I'm already using all the spring jumps for blank, do-nothing icons on the springboard itself, since I have one page and use categories as 'the other pages'.
  4. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You could just download a random free app that you'll never use (there's tons of them on the app store) and delete some important files in the .app folder and change the icon and default.png to whatever you want it to show.
  5. MattPro

MattPro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Or just create a folder like this:

Application.app
    ---> (File with same name as application, it can be empty or contain random text)

So let's say I wanted to name it fake:
    Fake.app
    ---> Fake

And then put that in /Applications

and you should be good to go.
  6. HedgyHoggy

HedgyHoggy New Member

Wait, so I'd just make an empty folder called Fake.app and put it in /private/var/stash/Applications?

It didn't really work, I think I'm missing something >_<
  7. MattPro

MattPro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)

You need to create a file called "Fake" in that folder. Just "Fake", nothing else.

When you click on the icon, the system goes to launch the executable "Fake" within the application folder, but since it isn't a blank application and just a file it crashes. You still need an icon in the folder as well.

Sorry if this is confusing...

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. HedgyHoggy

HedgyHoggy New Member

blegh, still no luck. Thanks for the help though. I did find another way around it. I took http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2008/12/08/download-12-blank-apps-for-theming/#more-798 and made copies so I'd have more than just the 12 blank ones he gave me. Apparently it didn't work but i modified the copies by changing certain names in some of the files to get them to work. Yeah, bad explanation, but at least I've got icons that crash now =D. Thanks everyone.