Application Idea -- SecondScreen

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by FrankZ0509, Sep 11, 2009.

1. FrankZ0509

FrankZ0509 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Here is my first ever application idea, hope all goes well and that you guys like it. In case you see something wrong with it, a loophole of any sort, feel free to comment so we can patch up the idea.

What is it?

SecondScreen is an iPhone/iPod touch program which extends your PC/Mac desktop to your i-device display, simulating a second monitor, without having to set up a complicated VPN solution. It does this through two sides, the iPod/iPhone side for the output, and the PC/Mac side for the display processing.

iPod/iPhone Side:
    A driver is added into the device framework to allow video stream output and positional mapping. A GUI front-end is then installed as an application to feed the live stream to the screen display. By computing the location of the desktop cursor, the application can use the touchscreen interface to move the mouse cursor; with taps simulating mouse clicks, and pinches simulating right-clicks. A down-/upward gesture simulates mousewheel scrolling.

PC/Mac Side:
    Likewise, a driver is installed on the computer side to allow video output to the i-device; simulating a virtual graphics card and monitor, and a Human Interface Device (HID) input to receive input from the touchscreen to move and interact with the mouse cursor.

Usefulness:
    Take multitasking as an example. If you're not using your iPod or iPhone and you're focused on your PC or MAC, then you can use this software to multi-task -- your game (or your playing video, or whatever else) is displayed on your computer screen, while your web browser and instant messenger windows are displayed on your i-device.

Connectivity:
    SecondScreen is mainly connected through a USB data cable for fast responsiveness; but it can also be connected via WLAN, Bluetooth (if firmware-enabled), or through the internet (with of course, a service fee).

So... comments? C&C?
  2. tomlaw

tomlaw Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Awesome

i think that is sick. cant wait for it to come out
  3. Rockinryguy

Rockinryguy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    cant vnc just be used?
  5. Gershmer

Gershmer Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I might of misread, but the point was that you could see both your iPod's screen and your computer's screen at the same time, on your iPod.
  6. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how is that different to vnc? lol i dont exactly get what it does