Apple's worst ripoff ever?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by DAOSgeek, Oct 20, 2010.

1. DAOSgeek

DAOSgeek Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So I'm really excited about the new MacBook Air (although I know I can't afford it!) and I checked the UK Apple prices to compare to the $999 I read on engadget. I found £849. £849?!! $999 equals about £650!!

I don't know, if you can find (or remember) any worse rip-offs (in conversion) from Apple, from $ to £ tell me. But bear in mind that even though it's £200, it's where in the price range that the £200 makes a huge impact.
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No way! how can they do this? I was thinking of saving up if it was below £700, but no way. Apple needs to sort themselves out
  3. ShizerMonkey

ShizerMonkey Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Firstly I agree, How can they possibly charge £859 for a laptop that's the equivalent to a top of the range notebook ? Because it has the apple logo.

Seriously even the lower end Macbook Air is to dear for me, You could get a second hand MacBook pro for that price.
  4. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Apple are a premium brand. Get over it.
  5. ElectroBeijing

ElectroBeijing Well-Known Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Egh, I would go with getting a used Macbook Pro.... if you notice, Apple products seem to outdate slightly slower [at least compared to Microsoft, etc], or the way my Apple headphones have never broken, even though every other brand pair I have do
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The plain white macbook is better spec wise. Macbook air isn't about specs, it never was. You could say no Apple product is about specs. You could find something to beat every Apple product out right now with specs and price, but it would be tough to find anything that can beat Apple design. I mean, they shoved the guts of a "meh" PC into something as thin as an iPhone 4, I'd like to see another company do that! Is it practical? No. Useful? Not really. But it does look super sexy and it boots up in seconds. It's not for everyone, so don't get it if you don't like it.

I'm getting one

Please Register or Log in to view images

I need another laptop, but I don't need anything super powerful. I was thinking the plain macbook since I like OSX and am to lazy to hackintosh, but even that is more power then I really need and honestly probably more then most people really need. I have the money, so why not an air? Look at how sexy that thing is!
  7. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    You get a better computer with the MacBook then the air. Same price.
  8. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It's even worse in the UK. The Mac Box Set for example, is $129 in the US, but £119 in the UK. If you consider that $1 is around £0.60, it should really cost around £78.

Huge rip off here.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I bet the air would launch and run most applications faster the the MacBook because of the flash storage. It already boots faster. I have a feeling the flash storage is going to make the Macbook and Macbook air about even. The flash might even give the air a little bit of an edge. It's not all about CPU speed an ram you know. The GPU is the same.
  10. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    well yes, but pricing should be the same around the world.

i agree, huge rip off! glad to be in america haha