Apples "Vision of the future"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jimbeam, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    So I watched the keynote and the iPad promo video the other day. Steve and those other two guys said they see the iPad as their "Vision of the future". This raises questions. How does the iPad discipe Apple's vision of the future for Apple and what will that future look like? Is the iPad the future of apples consumer products? Will Apple eventually make a "Pro" iPad? What could the iPad bring to the "pro" consumers? Is the iPhone ecosystem the future of apple? Will OSX and iPhone OS merge more or drift further apart?

These are my questions. Share your thoughts. How do you see future Apple products, pro and consumers, based on apples vision of the future (The iPad).
  2. Zc456

Zc456 Member

As I look into the SDK documentation, there's a chance this might spin off into its own product. Weather they'll be a Pro model is beyond me. The chances of them merging the two systems seems highly unlikely at this point since making iPhone/Pad applications still relies heavily on a host, let alone OS X's recent RAM requirement jump.
  3. Alpacaman

Alpacaman New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think the iPhone OS ecosystem is going to become Apples consumer product. iPads, iPhones, iPods and different variations, different looks and feels, but generally built on the same locked down and tightly controlled system. This is great for joe shmow "I don't know dick about computers and just want it to do what I want it to do with as little fuss and learning as possible" ie, %90 of the population.

Then they are going to keep selling iMacs, Macbooks and whatever other none iPhone OS systems (Open ecosystems) to the creators of content. Art, Media, design and development. To people who just need more.

I'm fine with that. I understand that most of the world doesn't know or care whats going on under the hood and just want a computer to do what they want, with as few problems as possible. That closed system is perfect for them. They can play around in their sandbox and be happy and safe. Its good and they'll love it.

Anyone who want's and need more from their computer will choose an OSX platform from apple. The creators of content. These people probably wouldn't even consider an iPhone/iPad OS as anything more then a toy and not buy one.

but where does that leave me? I'm not really a creator of anything, but I'm more then just a joe shmo consumer who is happy with the closed system. Because I like to tinker and dig around under the hood. I want to see what makes things tick and change thinks to my liking. I'm the guy who buys a mac and paints it black. I'm the guy who changes everything I can possibly change visually on my desktop and installs all the tweaks and apps I can to make my computer fit the way I want to use it. I'm the guy who makes my computer uniquely mine.

I'm in the middle and there is no place for me in the Apple ecosystem. I'm sure most of the IPTF's community is the same. Along with the majority of people who read engadget, gizmodo and all the other tech sites. We are the consumer and at the same time need more then the average consumer. That's why I think there is so much negativity toward the iPad. Again apple neglected us, the people in the middle. We want are cake and want to eat it too. We want the iPad, but want to do more than what apple feels is fit for the average consumer.
  5. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i think they mean the touch screen capabilities. everything is becoming touch screen etc, soon it will be like the computers in minority report.
  6. therealjeko

therealjeko New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There's much to like, of course. The physical beauty and classy build quality, as in anything designed by Jonathan Ive. The shockingly low price — $499 for the basic model. The contract-free, unlocked nature of the 3G version. But there are two chief reasons for its guaranteed success.

Steven Fry in the Guardian talking on the ipad.

I ACTUALLY LIKE EVERYTHING BUT THE CORNY NAME BUT I UNDERSTAND THE TYPOGRAPHICAL REASONS OUTWEIGH THE PHONETICAL ONES WHEN IT COMES TO MARKETING SOMETHING PROPERLY... that said, i think 'iTABLET' sounds better!!!!!
  7. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I just thought I point out while on that subject that Nintendo's software is also a closed ecosystem, yet not a living soul thinks about it anymore. And you wanna know something? Wanna know something? Its been around since the N64 days! Holy cuss!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You have to ask yourself, is there an iPod touch Pro ? Is there an iPhone PRO ?

OS X seems more limited to me than, say, Linux or FreeBSD. But that's just my opinion having never used OS X more than a few minutes at my local shopping mall.

Zc456, Nintendo software ? :lol: Come on...
  9. Zc456

Zc456 Member

The DSi and Wii runs Opera. Two decades ago a web browser on a console would be considered crazy, still is. Yes it runs software with rumors they'll be porting Netflix over to.

Please Register or Log in to view images