Apples Thoughts on Jailbreaking After the Court Case, and My 2 Cents

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tinyman392, Jul 26, 2010.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    After the court case that deemed jailbreaking 100% LEGAL, Apple has come in with it's own statements about this:

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5597083/it-might-be-legal-but-apple-still-says-jailbreaking-will-void-warranty

My thoughts on this is that Apple can't restrict, or at least shouldn't restrict, jailbreaking on their devices for the reasons that they've taken lots from the jailbreakers. I could create a list of these, but most of you can already count out the countless number of "innovations" they stole from us. But it will still void warranty (What else is new?).
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I find it stupid that random members of the jailbreaking community claim that all of Apple's innovations were stolen from the ideas jailbreakers. I mean jailbreakers only have these ideas because they have these features on their Mac or PC; so theoretically, Apple didn't steal anything from you. It's not like you guys were the first people to ever think of putting a wallpaper on something or to organize things in a folder. Please.

I also find it sad that people want these features that were first available through jailbreaking but now Apple is giving you these features and you claim that they stole your idea. It's sad because you guys are never happy and you'll always find something to complain about.
  3. that_guy

that_guy New Member

So it's now legal !? I know that doesn't really change anything but-
    1. Does that mean they can't for you not to then
    2. What in a jailbreak is now considered legal I.e I'm guessing emulator Roms are still deemed illegal?
  4. TouchiPod

TouchiPod Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    so does that mean its illegal for apple to "patch" newer firmwares?
  5. MajorTruSkill

MajorTruSkill New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple may continue to try and stop/slow down jailbreaking or they might have a different view on it and might allow it... who knows? Either way there will still be jailbreaking as far as im concerned. I hope Apple will allow downgrading cause iOS 4 as of right now sucks in my opinion.
  6. TouchiPod

TouchiPod Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i agree. apple really screwed some of the "veteran" ipod touch users with ios 4
  7. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    @ChrisL

Sure, we didn't create wallpapers (Microsoft did, I think), or copy and paste (No idea who started this), or even organizing things in a folder (Same, not a clue). Heck we didn't even make multitasking (who started it, who really cares, it's here and it's staying). We didn't even create organizing APPLICATIONS in folders (PALM created this).

BUT, we did create a way of using them in the OS. Creating a mobile interface for them (Something that Apple didn't have).
    -Copy and Paste:
    -Original jailbreak: double tap hold
    -Apple's idea: tap and hold (Seems really similar, don't you think?)

-Multitasking:
    -Jailbreaking: Backgrounder (No interface), Kirkakee (List based), ProSwitcher (Palm's "Card" based, or Circuitous (DOCK based)
    -Apples: Double click the home button for a DOCK of multitasked applications (Sound similar to Circuitous?)

-Applications in folders:
    -Jailbreaking: Sort in Apps (Also called FOLDERS) that show "pages" of icons (Categories).
    -Apple: Sort in folders that resemble apps on the home screen (Similar enough?).

-Wallpapers:
    -Jailbreaking/Apple: No way around it, just set it!

-Themes:
    -Jailbreaking: Winterboard
    -Apple:

-Shake to Shuffle:
    -Jailbreaking: PocketTouch
    -Apple: Sent Skylar Cantu a message that they were using his "Shake to Shuffle".

We didn't make anything, you're absolutely right, but be did create a way to mobilize it. Apple has taken it, and tweaked it a TINY bit to avoid legal issues (Except for Shake to Shuffle, used with permissions).
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

@tinyman392

You're just assuming that Apple stole jailbreakers ideas because jailbreakers implemented it first. But that doesn't mean the idea wasn't in Steve Jobs' mind. We can't read his mind or anything so we shouldn't just assume.

But at the end of the day, these features are here. But what I don't understand is why people are complaining about Apple stealing these 'ideas'. Would you rather have Apple not implement these features at all? I mean, everyone complains when the features are missing, but when Apple adds the features, everyone complains that Apple is stealing ideas.
  9. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    @ChrisL

I'm not really complaining as I don't agree with Apple being against jailbreakers when they do use ideas from them (Too many similarities that I showed in my previous post). I love the fact that Apple implements many of these. But it's like you said, we can't read Steve's mind (Maybe it's totally flip flopped and he didn't have any of this in mind, or more likely just some). I'm just saying that Apple shouldn't shun jailbreaking because they can bounce ideas right off of them. Native is always the best way to get things to work efficiently. Jailbreaking just gives you a way to run things until they are native (Apple implements it EVENTUALLY in a similar way the jailbreakers did it).

I really can't complain, because this isn't anything to complain about.
  10. JakeMan

JakeMan Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Wait wait wait wait did Apple say jailbreaking DEGRADES the experience? Isn't the point of jailbreaking to ENHANCE the experience? Stupid Apple..