Apple's iPhone coming to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeneralDuctape, Apr 30, 2009.

1. GeneralDuctape

GeneralDuctape New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, I know that I'm looking forwards to this, I just hope that the negotiating will be successful

Please Register or Log in to view images

I did cut out some of the boring stuff, like stats.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Story from www.msnbc.com

"An iPhone “lite” and an iPhone “media pad” may be offered by Verizon Wireless, according to sources quoted in stories from BusinessWeek and USA Today.

Representatives from Verizon Wireless, AT&T’s main rival, have had talks with Apple about two iPhone-like devices, according to BusinessWeek. USA Today also reported that the companies have had "high-level" discussions.

“Benefits to Verizon Wireless would be a hot phone, and Verizon Wireless is currently the most favored of the networks,” said technology analyst Rob Enderle. “For Apple, it would nearly double their available U.S. market.”

“Apple is certainly interested in expanding the distribution of its mobile products in its home region (the United States), where it has always had its best success,” said Kevin Burden, ABI Research’s practice director, mobile devices.

“The addition of the country’s largest mobile operator as an additional channel for Apple would handle that nicely. However, there are a lot of obstacles and ‘what ifs’ in the way.

“The iPhone brand could not be a part of the deal, and Apple and Verizon would need to be cautious in how a voice/data terminal (such as a media pad) is positioned so that it doesn’t violate the AT&T exclusivity deal.”

A smaller, thinner iPhone “lite” and a “media pad” that could be used to make calls over Wi-Fi connection are in the works, according to a source who has seen the devices’ prototypes, BusinessWeek reported.
    The media pad, akin to Apple’s existing iPod touch, also would “let users listen to music, view photos and watch high-definition videos,” BusinessWeek said.

Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam told the magazine that he had spoken with Apple CEO Steve Jobs and other company executives in the last six months.

While both AT&T and Verizon Wireless have 3G, or third-generation, wireless networks, Verizon Wireless is further ahead than its competitor with the development of a 4G, or fourth-generation network that could bring even faster e-mail, Web browsing and downloading capabilities.

Those features have been a key draw of the iPhone. And while both AT&T and Apple have said each is happy with the other, some customers who would like the iPhone have resisted switching to AT&T because its network is not considered as reliable as that of Verizon Wireless.

"AT&T's recent results show that the iPhone has been one of the most important reasons they have continued with their subscriber growth, taking customers not only from weaker carriers like Sprint but also dinging Verizon Wireless," said David Chamberlain of In-Stat Research recently.

The company may also be working on a $99 version of the iPhone that would run on AT&T's slower 2.5G network. A new version of the iPhone is expected to be released within the next few months

Analysts caution that Verizon Wireless/Apple reports may be spin, in part, by Apple to cement an improved contract with AT&T.

“This could end up being an elaborate negotiation tactic,” said Burden."
  2. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    see.. i'm all for the iphone coming to verizon.. since i am a verizon user... but this iphone lite crap... idk.. i just want a full blown iphone... no lite... no media pad... i'm ok with the "bulkiness" of the iphone... so... hopefully they don't mess up things too too badly... but.. hope it works. good find!

3. pss

pss New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    In all likelihood, the "iPhone Lite" is probably the same thing, except maybe a pinch smaller and using system-on-a-chip for the architecture. As long as it runs all the same apps decently, it wouldn't make a difference to me. Jailbreakable is also a big plus, but that's in the hands of the iphone devteam.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    They're doing it to get a better deal with AT&T, scaring them, so to speak.
  5. Duykur

Duykur Banned

If i where apple, I woudl sign exclusivity with whoever pays the most, and that seems to be at&t.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    If it happens it's actually going to run on their LTE network instead of GSM or CDMA with speeds around 100 down and 50 up!!!
  7. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    lol this was Extra Credit on my social studies test.
  8. bigcj55

bigcj55 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Wow, for real? Haha. Lucky.

9. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

but it won't be a GSM iPhone, which is gonna really suck. Cuz i do remember Verizon being a CDMA-phone-type carrier on my visit to the states.
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    $99 iPhone is alright with me