Apple's dirty little secret

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retro349, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Retro349

Retro349 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Before I settle down for the night, I'd like to share with you a peculiar little thing I've noticed.

But first, I'd like to ask you a question:

You love the Retina Display, right? I mean, just look at it. I can read all of the New York Times headlines, in portrait, without even zooming in. As soon as you unlock your phone and stare deep into the dense, crisp clarity of the glorious Retina Display, you know that this phone was easily worth diving $200 closer to bankruptcy.

Until you download apps, that is.

Yes, you know what I mean. All of those depreciated little apps with their ugly, pixelated icons. They plague your home screen and make you ponder whether Apple was really right all along, that 3rd-party software takes away form the "iPhone experience".

But, I'd like to share with you a peculiar little fact I've found: Your phone already has Retina icons for every single one.

That's right. And I can prove it, too. Just open up your favorite file browser, WinSCP, FileZilla, iFile, pick your poison. Navigate to /var/mobile/applications/(anything)/xxx.app/ and snatch up the file "iTunesArtwork". On iFile, open it in image viewer. on your computer, add the extension ".jpg".

Kazam!

Beautiful, high-quality icons. And they were on your phone all along, too. These here are the same files that iTunes uses in Artwork and Cover Flow views to display those huge icons across your screen.

Now, riddle me this. Why wouldn't Apple just use these files instead of the ugly, default pixely ones?

In fact, the iPhone even uses these icons when downloading apps.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Props to chpwn for Infinifolders)

2. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I believe the reason for that is because those are the icons it uses in the iTunes library on your computer. You know, when you click on "Apps" and all the icons pop up.
  3. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Apple doesn't fill it with pixelated junk, it's just that developers must update their applications

4. Retro349

Retro349 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Exactly. But, my point is, if the high-quality icons are already on the device, why does Apple opt for the pixelated ones?

Same as above.
  5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    JPGs aren't used because optimized ("crushed") PNGs work best on iOS.
  6. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    nice find

------------------double post merged------------------
    how come?
  7. Retro349

Retro349 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That's one explanation. Although it wouldn't be much trouble for Apple to optimize them, and package them in.

Also, we do have pincrush, so it wouldn't be too hard to write a JB app, either.
  8. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I've just updated all my icons to HD one's. took me a while but was worth it. you can grab the itunesartwork from itunes in the app sections.
  9. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    It's not apple that sets the app icon's it's the dev's. Apple could make something that would give you the highres images but they either haven't thought about it or they figure the apps will be updated soon anyway.
  10. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Apple updated the icons and images in THEIR apps. They don't control third-party apps and the way they're written. Higher-resolution images are completely up to the developer, not Apple.

Gotta love trollin'.