Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

AppleCare Warranty Info: Who and What's Covered

Discussion in 'General iOS discussions' started by Joe Rossignol, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Warranty Info: Who & What's Covered
    iFans.com | Revised July 2012

Two Different Warranties:

When you purchase your Apple device, it is automatically covered under a 1-year limited warranty at no cost to you. This includes purchasing the device not only from Apple, but also from Amazon, Best Buy, or any other Apple authorized reseller. Also, if you purchased a used iPhone or iPod touch from someone else, for example, the warranty still applies if it is within 1-year from original purchase. As stated, this warranty is limited. There are many limitations to the 1-year warranty and in most cases, your issue may not be covered. AppleCare, explained below, has a better chance of protecting your device against accidental damage from handling.

A second warranty policy that Apple provides is called AppleCare. This policy extends your 1-year limited warranty coverage to 2 years from the original purchase date of the device, plus extends your complimentary phone support from 90 days to 2 years as well. You must purchase this plan within 30 days purchasing your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
    [​IMG]

For example, an iPhone purchased on Jan 1, 2013 can have an AppleCare coverage plan added to it until Feb 1, 2013. After this time, you may no longer purchase AppleCare for your device. This plan costs $99 for the iPhone, $59 for the iPod touch and $99 for the iPad. All prices are in US dollars and accurate as of July 2012).
    What's Covered by Apple's 1-Year Limited Warranty?:
    • iPhone, iPod touch or iPad hardware or consumable parts (i.e. battery) that have problems as a result of manufacturing defects
    What's Not Covered by Apple's 1-Year Limited Warranty?:
    • Most software problems or issues that could be resolved by applying an iOS software update
    • Consumable parts (i.e. batteries) that are faulty but not as a result of manufacturing defect
    • Accidental damage caused by mishandling
      • Water damage (Spills or Complete Submersion)
        • There are water contact indicators inside all iPhone, iPod touch and iPad models
      • Cosmetic damage (normal wear and tear, scratches, dents and cracks)
    • Damage resulting from fire, flood, or earthquake
    • Damage resulting from a third-party unauthorized repair service
    • Modified products or parts
    • Devices with a removed or defaced serial number
    • Faulty cellular network or service problems with the iPhone
    • Devices that have been opened and tampered with
    • Devices that have been lost or stolen
    • A jailbroken device (however, restoring in iTunes prior to warranty service removes all traces of a jailbreak)
    What's covered by AppleCare?
    • Broken or defective iPod headphones
    • Broken or defective iPod sync cables
    • A battery that has depleted by more than 50 percent within your warranty coverage period
    • As of October 2011, AppleCare now covers up to 2 incidents of accidental damage resulting from mishandling (subject to a $49 service fee + applicable taxes each time), including:
      • Water damage
      • Dropping your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad
    What's not covered by AppleCare?
    • Most software problems or issues that could be resolved by applying an iOS software update
    • Normal wear and tear
    • Theft or misplacement of your device
    • Reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct with regards to handling your device
    • Devices with a removed or defaced serial number
    • Faulty cellular network or service problems with the iPhone
    • Devices that have been opened and tampered with
    • A jailbroken device (however, restoring in iTunes prior to warranty service removes all traces of a jailbreak)
    This is What You'll Get Back When Your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad is Serviced (1 of 3):
    • Your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad back after being repaired
    • A refurbished iPhone, iPod touch or iPad in exchange of your damaged device
    • A full refund of the purchase price of your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad in rare circumstances
    FAQ:
    • Q: Does the 1-year limited warranty and AppleCare apply internationally? A: Yes.
    • Q: My iPhone, iPod touch or iPad has dead pixels, am I covered? A: Check with a Genius Bar employee, since it is circumstantial.
    • Q: My iPhone, iPod touch or iPad has water damage, am I covered? Under AppleCare only.
    • Q: I dropped my iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Am I covered? A: Under AppleCare only.
    • Q: My device is all scratched and has wear and tear. Am I covered? A: No.
    • Q: I bought my device off somebody. Am I covered? A: If it is still within the limited 1-year warranty or AppleCare period, then yes. The warranty is automatically transferable.
    • Q: I did not buy my iPhone, iPod touch or iPad from Apple, am I covered? A: Yes, your device is still covered by Apple's standard 1-year warranty and is eligible for AppleCare coverage within 30 days. Here's some of the well known retailers (our so-called "trusted list"):
      • Apple Online & Retail Stores
      • Amazon.com
      • iPhone carriers: AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Virgin Mobile, Cricket Wireless, O2, Bell, Vodafone, Rogers, Orange, Telus, Fido, etc.
      • Best Buy, Future Shop and other large consumer electronics retailers
      • Walmart and Sam's Club
    Depending on where you purchase your device, third-party warranties may also be available. Retailers such as Future Shop in Canada and Best Buy in the United States do have third-party warranties available. Always ask the retailer what types of warranties they provide for your new Apple product. Certain credit companies such as Visa, MasterCard and American Express may also match or extend your warranty depending on the plan and perks you have. Check with your credit card company for more information.

Refer to Apple's 1-Year Limited Warranty & AppleCare Terms & Conditions for further information.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great guide kind, will help a lot of people
  3. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks. :)
  4. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Good tutorial/guide/PSA.

More worthy of sticky status than the OOOOLLLLLDDDD stickies up now, IMO.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I stuck it myself and unstuck or moved some of the old stickies in this section.
  6. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I wish I could do that to my threads!:(
    kona314 likes this.
  7. skymoon31

skymoon31 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    there's one from future shop in canada. same stuff as best buy i think.
  8. Aareen

Aareen Banned

Most of the time the Warranty gets void when you take it out of the country yourself. If you buy it directly from Mac through the website they will ship it to you themselves, that way you will still have your warranty intact.
  9. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice little guide.
  10. Dodgerman16

Dodgerman16 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Does the best buy 2 year extended warranty cover everything? Say if my battery sucked could they replace the battery on my 3g itouch?