AppleCare/Service Plan

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by emery72, Aug 31, 2009.

?

Is it worth it to purchase the AppleCare plan or other extended warranty?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. emery72

emery72 New Member

I am planning to purchase an ipod touch when they release the 3G. A lot of people on this forum appear to have purchased the AppleCare plan or extended warranty through the retailer they purchased their ipod from. I have never purchased any type of extended warranty before and wonder if it is worth it. In looking online it looks like the AppleCare plan is $59 and the service plan through Best Buy is $69. That seems like a lot of money to me that could be spent on things like cases, screen protectors, and wall chargers. What do you think?
  2. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    extended warranties aren't worth it. many people have done studies. you can buy it for the peace of mind, but its more than likely that you are wasting your money. heres my advice to you: as i understand it, you have a year to buy the warranty, within your original warranty period. if nothing goes wrong in a year, chances are, nothing will go wrong. if something does go wrong, push as hard as you can to get the device replaced ASAP. if you think something's wrong, come in as often as possible for every little freeze-up. have them record your serial number in their database. i think the magic number is 3 times in, and it'll be replaced. i, for some reason, you cant get it replaced within your warranty, buy applecare,
  3. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Theyre worth it.
    Why not have the protection..?
  4. ipodtouchpwns

ipodtouchpwns New Member

Considering AppleCare is extremely cheap off of eBay, I can't see any reason not to buy it. It has REALLY come in handy with my Macbook.
  5. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I didn't hesitate to purchase it along with my iPhone. Extra security is always a good thing.
  6. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    not worth it. it puts you out an $60 bucks which you could spend on something you want and besides, how many people's ipod has acutally died after 90 days? usually if it breaks after that long its cause the user dropped in the toilet or something like that. just make sure you take care of your item and it should last you.
  7. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ehh, still good to have.
  8. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Trust me. Its worth it. Im speaking from personal experience. I had a week left in original warranty and my button got stuck. Apple requires a $40 fee after 6 months so u mno what i did? I went on ebay and got applecare for $25 and didnt have to pay the $40 fee anymore And got a free rellacement from apple plus fed ex ovrnight express shipping!
    Go get it! And for those people saying if nothing happens to your ipod in a year, chances are nothing will happen after that, is very untrue because after a year is when all the problems start happening. Plus, it really helps increase ipods resale value!
    Hope it helps, that was my personal experience.

-posted on my ipod
  9. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yah, you do get more support with your problems...
  10. emery72

emery72 New Member

Are there any scams with ebay and the applecare plan I should be aware of? It sounds like ebay is the place to purchase it at. I am really cautious with ebay. I have been scammed countless time on ebay, but luckily I never fell for any them. I even had someone hack my ebay account once and was selling things and never delivering them. People were emailing me like crazy asking where there stuff was. It sucked.