Applecare - Is it worth it???

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by Tadgerman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Tadgerman

Tadgerman New Member

First post on here, so just like to say a big hello and Merry Christmas to all !!!

I have just purchased a iPod Touch, which is great . My first ipod ever. One question that I would like to ask. Is £39 for the extended Applecare Protection worth it. The iPod cost me £269 and I am concerned that the clock that are in most electronics these day will self destruct 5 days after the one year warranty runs out. I used to work for Apple a few years ago and it generally cost the same to fix anything than it did to replace it with a new item.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
  2. Alliott

Alliott New Member

Hi! New on the forum but I work on the European Aftersales and I must say that getting that APP is definately worth the extra buck. If you only count in the free battery-change which you will need at some point you have earned back what you paid... If you then add the 3 years support and warranty its a done deal!

Please Register or Log in to view images

// Alliott
  3. gammada

gammada New Member

Really don't know for sure if it's wise to go for it.

iPod devices, unlike desktop or portable computers, face a higher risk of being replaced by more modern units in the time frame of AppleCare's package coverage. Then, they also face a higher risk of getting lost or stolen.

A battery change two or three years down the road will cost less than half the asking price for the AppleCare. So in my view the only thing that would make the package a smart buy is if screen-replacement is part of the deal (they go for about $120 USD).

Got a Mac mini with AppleCare but so far, I has been unnecessary. The cute lil' thing just keeps on going strong!

On the other hand, tech support on Apple Mexico (recently moved to the US) is worst than not having anything at all.
  4. AnotherFan

AnotherFan New Member

If it makes you feel any different, I bought a nano two years ago. It was my first iPod so I bought the 2-year BestBuy warranty and technically the warranty is still valid until January but so far I don't need it. Two years. No problem.

If only I can break it, while still being in the boundaries of replacing it, I can get the money back I paid for my Touch.

Nano = $250
    Touch = $300

(I was going to add Jailbreak = Priceless but I thought that was too cliche..)