Apple wins: my Touch makes me want an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gurn Blanston, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Gurn Blanston

Gurn Blanston New Member

I thought that I'd be happy with a jailbroken Touch. After much diffuculty, I finally pieced together how to jailbreak my Touch (the guides are great, but they are difficult to figure out for technically challenged newbies like me), and I've successfully added all of the iPhone apps. Now that it's working like I want, I'm frustrated at being limited to wifi hotspots for these apps and the internet. I routinely pick up my Touch thinking, "I'll check this, do that...oh, no access to wifi here...shoot). I'm spending too much time at McDonald's, and I hate their food!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Even though EDGE/GPRS, or whatever AT&T uses, is slower, I'd like to have this stuff always available.

Dang it! I was really hoping to avoid getting an iPhone.

2. OnAPartyRock

OnAPartyRock New Member

I so know the feeling but for me its Panera instead of McDonalds.
  3. rainman

rainman New Member

I agree with what you're saying. I bought the touch as a device to use for music and movies and internet use during travel, with no contract required. When I got it I realized how great it would be if it were a phone with a camera too. At home, nothing beats my desktop for the internet, so even though I can get the internet on the touch at home, I don't really need it there. It would be really nice to get on the internet anywwhere. In another year or two, when they make it even better, I will probably get the iphone.
  4. Gurn Blanston

Gurn Blanston New Member

I found that if I keep Safari open while I'm driving around that I can periodically glance at my Touch and find free wifi spots as I pass by (only when safe, though). Thanks for the Panera tip.

Since I have EDGE internet access on my Tmobile Dash, I'll probably wait for the iPhone to evolve, too. Internet on the iphone and Touch is just so much slicker. Maybe the price and plans will be more affordable next year. (fingers crossed)
  5. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

yea, I know what you mean, I would like total, 24/7, global internet, but as the rolling stones once said "You can't always get what you want."
  6. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

If you look on the ipod accessories forum it looks like there is a new gadget out called blueye that will let you connect your touch via your existing phone.
  7. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah but still I know how you feel. I just got my touch about a month ago and my friend got an iphone last week, and it makes one sorta jealous. You can go on the interent anywhere and text and call. Whereas I can do almost all of that only if I have wi-fi...but I too will wait for the price of the iphone to come down and hopefully get one sometime in the near future..
  8. skyfreedom

skyfreedom New Member

Yeah guys im in the same boat, after getting the touch iam now considering getting the iPhone.
    But im gonna wait fro generation 2 or 3 before I buy, meanwhile im working on getting internet from my Motorola Q to the Touch via adhoc, almost done with tweaking.

9. Kalison

Kalison New Member

this is what exactly had happened to me! I ended up breaking my verizon contract and getting the iPhone. It was easy for me since the 16g was the same price as the iPhone, I just returned my iPod touch.

I haven't any regrets. edge is not lightning, but I really don't mind it at all, works fast enough for email and some light to moderate surfing.
  10. shadyh

shadyh New Member

everybody has different preferences but i don't like how thick the iphone is i know it has allot more components but still as far as look and feel i think the touch is better plus 8gb is not enough for me I'm not even fully happy with 16gb but its alright but i really don't care about edge because allot of places have wifi these days well where i live anyways and you can make the touch do allot of the things that the ipohne does besides call and take pictures there's probably other stuff that the ipohne can do that I'm not aware of but my friends has an iphone and he likes my touch better but bottom line i bought this because it is a cool gadget and the main thing i use it for is music and video witch it does an excellent job doing jail breaking and wifi was a big part of why i bought it to. so i already have a phone that I'm happy with and i would rather have my phone and ipod separate.