Apple want to kill the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eko2, Apr 2, 2009.

1. eko2

eko2 New Member

ok, Iv had enough of people trying to say that the apple is trying to keep the ipod and iphone "different enough." How do you know that? you have no proof, just make a random claim that they make more and viola there's your proof.

here's what I think is going down...

The iPhone cost more to make with the cellphone components while fetching them a larger price...

when apple started looking for a carrier, they did a lot of looking and bargaining because phone carriers would not bend to apples will (wireless music purchases that the phone carrier makes $0 on.) finally they settled with ATT and sold their soul to contracts.

Now apple was contracted in with ATT which meant that only a fraction of the potential US market would be able to buy an iphone. To get as widespread distribution and continued sales apple is thus forced into lower and lower prices that damage their high priced snob-effect image.

(snob-effect is an economics term for status symbol.)

in their infinite wisdom Apple made the iPod touch too... (no not the iTouch, hehe that name irks me) an iphone that they could charge as much as they wanted to the masses. unrestricted by contracts and att subscribers this "iPod" could dominate the US.

2nd gen iPodtouch saw mic capabilities and hidden bluetooth, not to mention a speaker. a little iphone like, no? who knows what's next in the 3rd Gen Ipod but just look at the iphone/pod OS 3.0 IT ALOWS DRIVERS FOR EXTERNAL DEVICES!!! that means that a small 3rd party add on could give all ipods mics, gps, hell even a cell antanae.

look, cell phone carriers sell cell-data-modems for laptops im sure they would love to get in ont the ipod game... not to mention, voice plans could easily be squeaked in there. SO, simply by giving the tools Apple is enabling 3rd parties to do what it can't, Make an iPhone for other carriers.

Now for the reality check. Just like most people my facts are not solid by any means. There is the possibility my assumptions about the apple cost/revenue structure is total sh*te. perhaps the iphone does make THAT MUCH MORE. but I dont know and neither do you.

Thats my my theory and its pretty damn good. If you find any truth in it, then dont go around saying iphone features will never be put in the iPod, it bugs the hell out of me. You, and I, really have no idea what the apple marketing objectives and business model look like.

-------------------
    EDIT: look, at this point, apple wants global market dominance. The ammount of moolah they make from the app store is much more then some silly ATT subsidy. if they got a million new customers because of the ipod=iphone thing and over time they all purchases $20 worth of apps, that would be six xtra mill in pocket. now, ass the app store expands people are bound to buy more and more apps.

more install base= more developers and programs. at this point, no one sees app store sales passing pc software industry but who knows. when developers like discreet, final cut, and adobe start making apps for the ipod to interact with their pc/mac counterparts the app store could see much more high priced app sales, again more rev for apple. so imagine the day when people spend $20 per app, (given the apps have to warrant it, and we are far from that) people will soon be spending upwars of 100-200 on software every year! for our new million subcribers that would mean 30-60 million a year for apple.... just saying look at the potential, no way is it a reality, yet.
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple wants iPhone to be a business device, like a BlackBerry. It's outrageous price and contract makes perfect sense. Kids can't afford it, and the reputation of Apple stays fine. iPhone is supposed to have a great reputation as a professional, serious phone. Look at the iPhone 3G commercials, all about Work, Exchange, and being professional and no games, being as serious as possible.

The iPod touch, on the other hand, is branded as "The funnest iPod ever". The commercials are fast-paced, full of games, and nothing to do with Mail, Safari, or any other tools that could be even remotely used by adults.

iPod targeted to teenagers
    iPhone targeted to adults

That's what's going on, in my opinion.
  3. eko2

eko2 New Member

mmm good idea, definitely possible. I agree ipod touch really is the teen market niche, but for the iphone I am haveing a lil bit of a hard time seeing it being buis. based.

after apple did all those pc makefunof ads talking about word and spreadsheets and dissing the non-creative stuff I find that a hard market for them to enter. (directly negates their own campaign.)

it is without a doubt though, that it apple want to keep growing market share and make it big with OS X they are going to have to cater to businesses sooner or later.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You have a good point there. Apple always does make "fun" of Microsoft for doing that. But if you see some of the ads, example http://revver.com/video/1131431/apple-iphone-3g-work-friendly/, it becomes evident that maybe Apple is trying to enter the business niche.

You do have several good points, and I can see that happening; iPod touch is indeed becoming more and more like iPhone, with the additions:
    -1.1.3 Optional Mail, Safari, Stocks, Weather
    -2.0 Exchange, 2G iPod touch Microphone, Compulsory Jan. App Pack
    -3.0 Voice Notes, Landscape Mail, Contacts, etc...
  5. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. eko2

eko2 New Member

good link. just as you said. thing is,

iphone=WORK+GAMES=ipod

their marketing same basic product in two ways. perhaps they will keep them different, but I dont think that will stop the ipod from somehow getting on the cell networks... wether apple supports it or not is another question.
  7. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    VoIP is another possibility, as several products such as Fring, and Skype already support it and are becoming increasingly popular.

I use it frequently, and the only downside is the requirement of an external microphone. I had never really thought of your theory until now, but it seems to make sense.

I still want the iPhone more than anything else right now though; although in these economic times, I can barely afford it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. eko2

eko2 New Member

yeah yeah, me too. I too have considered voip but to me the biggest downside is wifi. for as wide coverage as it may have, its still surprisingly unreliable even in a city like chicago. stupid people, why u put a password on your wifi? haha.
  9. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have an iPhone 3G, fully purchased with my own money. I'm 14(soon be 15) and help with the bill as much as possible. Also, I know ALOT of people in my high school with iPhone 3G's, and I live in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky. We don't even have 3G service down here, and by no means are we rich. So it just goes to show, there are A LOT of teens with iPhone's.

Also, at the OP: Don't get me wrong, the App Store does draw in alot of profit. But when you buy an iPhone, your tied in a 2 year contract. I think someone said the other day, on the minimum plan requirements it cost you over 2,000$ over two years. And apple get's a decent cut of that.
  10. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's interesting. From what you wrote, you seem to be a very selfless person; it would come to me as no surprise that you have accumulated that much money, with your level of professionalism.

I'm currently saving up; I've got enough money from the App Store, but before I could think about anything else, the money was gone into renovating our basement

Anyways, I also am at around your age, and I also notice that a few people have iPhone 3Gs at our school, albeit not as much as you had mentioned. Personally, I'm against, generally, teenagers with iPhones. Of course, there are exceptions, such as people who actually understand what iPhone is, what it can do, and don't use it just for games.

People such as you, and others who actually make the most out of their iPhones, I don't see to be spoiled. But it is a bit presumptuous of me to think that most teens who have iPhones are spoiled.

My wrist hurts from writing that post.