Apple vs. MS in the 80s / Apple vs. android now.

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by mitchelmarsh, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mitchelmarsh

mitchelmarsh New Member

Using generalized terms there is a striking similarity of the struggle between apple and microsoft back in the day and now google and apple.

Back then, Apple heralded the personal computer era showing how "easy" and cool it was. They provided a great OS and was on the cutting edge and that was tied to apple hardware which was equally great and cutting edge.

MS came around, copied much of the OS and licensed it to everyone/anyone who was willing to make a clone.

The end result is that MS based operating systems have a market share in the 80 to 90 percentile.

Fast forward to 2010
    Apple introduced a ground breaking phone and OS. Again being the main driving force in a new category - they've developed a great, cool product but like before - very closed and proprietary. While that have a huge repository of apps available, they have a wacky (undocumented and inconsistent) approval process. I believe the latest app count is around 150,000

Google comes and basically copies the Ms approach. While android is less polished and to a point seemingly less stable. Their marketshare is increasing. They have a much easier and quicker application submission process. Currently they have around 30,000 apps

Will history repeat itself?
    In both cases apple had an OS that was cutting edge and cool but closed (to only their hardware). Competitors used an open approach with frequent updates. Apple doesn't seem to update the hardware/software as often (annual iPhone/OS updates) which I believe further hinders them.

While talk of market fragmentation is a popular topic with android, one cannot deny that they're scooping up marketshare very quickly and I don't see how apple can continue to compete with such a business tactic. They couldn't back in 80s/90s and its quite possible they could be in a struggle now.

Thoughts/opinions?
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I don't think Apple really cares about market share. They make a sh*t load of money with the little bit of market share they have. More money than some companies with a much larger market share.
  3. powerpup118

powerpup118 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    in the end I think both android and iPhone will succeed, both have even proved such. I think personally that some kind of new device, similar to the android and iPhone OS devices, will emerge from a few big companies, possibly even just running buffed versions of iPhone OS and android OS..

I think in the end that they will both succeed.

Only time will tell

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The key to MS succeeding wasn't an open platform. Bear in mind that back then IBM was the only one making PCs.

The key was that MS Windows was compatible with DOS applications. Thus it had a larger application library then Macintosh, and thus attracted more consumers, and in turn developers.

Fast forward to now, and even though Android is "open" (So to speak, considering the hardware it runs on still ties it down), it still has a lot less software than iPhone OS.
  5. geeza23

geeza23 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    but then again u gota take into consideration that technology is much more advance now and with the advent of jailbreaking and stuff it's not that closed so to speak and apple already has a massive head start so yeah android has a lot to catch up but i think only time will tell
  6. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Back Then.... Microsoft = big, evil, closed corporation
    Apple = rebel newboy who was seen as a hero

Now...... Apple = big, evil, closed corporation
    Google = rebel newboy who is seen as a hero

Who will be the next?
  7. jellydonuts

jellydonuts New Member

Device: