Apple tunes into healthy living with ‘iProd’ trainer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Loaded, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Loaded

Loaded New Member

THE makers of the iPod are working on a digital personal trainer that can measure a user’s heart rate, recommend an exercise regime and even design a healthy meal.

The device being developed by Apple, nicknamed the iProd, combines the internet technology of the iPod with a series of body sensors and specially designed software.

The nickname comes from a feature by which the machine reprimands the user if they fail to finish an exercise routine.

The California-based firm has lodged a series of designs for the machine, provisionally named the lifestyle companion system, at the US patent office in Washington.

While previous generations followed workouts conducted by celebrities ranging from Jane Fonda to Davina McCall, the hi-tech approach to personal fitness is part of a trend which has seen the console generation turn away from gyms and embrace the possibilities of combining exercise with playing computer games.

The latest Nintendo game, the Wii Fit, senses your performance and unlocks more games the better you do.

Apple’s machine is the logical next step to combine the internet with medical knowledge and fitness technology. Many gym machines include heart monitors so users can check their health while exercising.

The invention is already being discussed on the internet. One member on the Apple Insider forum wrote: “Most [people] are too self-conscious or too financially strapped to have a personal trainer. This will take care of both issues.” The system’s software asks a series of detailed questions to ascertain the user’s fitness goals, health, job, relationship, diet, spirituality and other aspects of their life affecting physical wellbeing.

The software then suggests workouts, diets and health advice, even restaurants suited to the user’s health profile.

The device may eventually be equipped with movement detectors and heart rate monitors and be linked to a patient’s doctor or to other users, enabling group workouts.

Apple declined to comment.

source
    Code:
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3780257.ece
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ohh. so that is what iprod meant.

i thought iprod means "iproduct" ?
  3. AvodCS

AvodCS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Working out using your video game console is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard.
  4. dstn1211

dstn1211 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ^ That's why the Wii was one of the lamest things ever.

Sounds good to me, anyway, since I use Nike+ a lot on my iPod.
  5. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Let me guess, this iProd can be considered something like an enhancement to the existing Nike+iPod feature... And yeah, I really thought iProd was also short form for iProduct or even iCattlePRod, lol!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. iPod Touch Seb

iPod Touch Seb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So that's what the mysterious 'iProd' is.... All becomes clear....