Apple to Allow Free iPhone/Touch Apps Without Special Approval?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by Teslanaut, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Lets hope this is true!
  2. steaky

steaky New Member

People will still need someway to get free programs onto their iDevice. It would make sense to use iTunes for this....
  3. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep, but you can get mp3s on your device via itunes now... just not via the itunes STORE. So, you'll for sure need to use itunes to get apps onto the device. You buy apps via itunes store. You download apps any way you want and sync 'em onto your device (maybe?)

Just a guess.... developers need to be able to get apps onto their development machines while they are building/testing, seems really unlikely that they'd need to go thru the itunes store to do that....
  4. sombdy

sombdy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    All I really want is free TODO and Memo apps that have groups like the Palm. And can be synced with the computer in some way. That's the only thing I see to be lacking since I got the ipod touch to replace my Palm because the battery was dead. And I don't want to jailbreak.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You can already do that.

www.plaxo.com
  6. sombdy

sombdy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Isn't that a web application though? I meant as a native application on my Touch so that I can use it when I don't have access to Wi-Fi. Like at the grocery store, the office, or elsewhere I get the urge to add a todo item that I just thought of.
  7. steaky

steaky New Member

I'd like that too. Im carrying around my Treo until then...iPhone gen 2 is on my wish list for xmas!
  8. sombdy

sombdy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My palm is so old that the battery doesn't last but an hour or so, so the Touch is all I have at the moment. I found that you can create a contact with a note and you can type in the note and that works kinda well. Like I have a contact called "Shopping List" and have a note added to it and I just add and remove from the text area.
  9. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If that's true, I'll be using iTunes a lot more, especially since you can jailbreak right from a hacked .ipsw now..
  10. arma47

arma47 New Member

Still though, I think there should be some limit on it, so some crazy "omg that app deleted everything" doesnt happen and everyone will blame apple for that.