Apple Tablet- How Would You Type?

Discussion in 'iPad Rumors and Pre-release Hype' started by solidness, Jan 3, 2010.

1. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, many of the rumors of the "iTablet", more specifically named the "iSlate" have been spreading around like wildfire. I personally think that everyone's work to contributing mockups and ideas of the design are great. I like to browse around this thread sometimes and people have been doing great with their unique ideas.
    Now this whole idea of an apple tablet is fascinating and all, but you might want to take a look at the practicality of such a thing. When I look at a few of these tablet ideas, I really think they look realistic and innovative.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The mockup above was created by user "Tommm". And I have to say, it's really a great one. Now, if Apple were to make such a thing, I have just a question.

What about typing?
    The tablet is speculated to be anywhere from a little bit bigger than an iPhone, to a standard laptop screen. You may notice while browsing through many of the mockups, very few feature a keyboard. Now I want you to take a look at this idea for a tablet-

Looks pretty decent, right? Well, how are you expected to type on such a thing? Like I stated before, the "iSlate" is expected to be a bit larger than an iPhone/ about the size of a laptop LCD screen. Typing would be very difficult if the tablet ranged anywhere from 5-8 inches (width). If the tablet was between those sizes, you would be typing with your thumbs, like an iPhone. The keys would be far too small to use as a regular keyboard. So, your thumbs would likely be straining to reach just a single key.
    So, what about the next size up? In my opinion, a full size regular use keyboard has NO practicality whatsoever. It would be awkward holding/ placing the tablet down and typing. And using such a keyboard on a touch-screen would be uncomfortable and not quite useful.
    Even if a physical keyboard was included into the tablet, the placement would also be quite awkward. It would have to slide out, like one you see on a cellphone. That would make the positioning angle of the screen the same as the keyboard. It likely seems that maybe an Apple netbook would be more appropriate. Really, the only option for such a tablet is an external keyboard.

Now don't get me wrong, Apple has shocked us many times before with their unexpected features included into software and hardware of their products. But when it comes to a tablet, I don't see a lot of practicality.
    So before you decide, think about the possible flaws I just pointed out.

-solidness
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I just dread this thing being released (if ever). There will be so many dissapointed people.
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    what about the wireless keyboards/keypads?
    there're even laser beamed keyboards which you can use to type on almost any surfase - of course without feedback from the keys...

//EDIT: here we go: http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/
    something like that could be integrated huh?
  4. Bonestack

Bonestack New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Maybe they put half of the keyboard on the other sit and half on the other so that you can type with your thumbs? Btw I remember this same rumor mill from last year

5. centplyr

centplyr Member

I agree to the extent that there will be a lot of disappointment.

I do NOT see this tablet as being really revolutionary or even practical which is kind of the most important part of it.

We'll see though, I may eat those words but I doubt it.
  6. oaqque

oaqque New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Eh? That Virtual Laser Keyboard looks too kool to be true. How would something like that work?
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I don't know how it works exactly but I know it does because I tried it myself on cebit

I think that it works somehow that it calculates the distance between surface and the device using the laser waves and then if a finger or sth else goes in between it registers that (distance changes) and that's it - it works pretty well (it is a few years old now - I mean this technology^^)

//EDIT: here is a review: http://mobilitytoday.com/article.php?a=iPAQ_Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard_iTECH_2P.html
    got the highest rating^^
  8. ALBIM

ALBIM New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    But wouldn't that technology be patented by that company? As far as I know Apple owns no such patent and didn't buy the company that makes the laser keyboard.
  9. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Apple did patent that one technology which lets you "feel" the screen in a way.

It's supposed to make a kind of border around buttons, or in this case keys, so you can feel where you're typing.

I don't know exactly how it would work, but I could see it happening.
  10. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    it'd be cool of there was a keyboard peripheral that folded out and in like a clamshell