Apple stores now selling iPhone 3G without a contract

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by eKoKnight, Mar 27, 2009.

1. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

Apple retail stores as of Thursday are selling unrestricted quantities of the iPhone 3G at the full, non-subsidized price of $599 for the 8GB version and $699 for the 16GB models.

The move follows AT&T's plans to sell one phone per customer at the full price for existing customers of its service. In Apple's case however, there is no limit on the number of phones a buyer can purchase, and no need to have an existing AT&T contract.

Activation can completed by the customer at home through iTunes.

While the phones are still technically locked to AT&T service, it is possible (but not supported) to unlock the phones for use with other mobile service providers. In the US, that is largely limited to T-Moble and Metro PCS, although both GSM providers do not support the 3G network the iPhone 3G needs to connect at faster than EDGE speeds.

Apple's change in sales policy comes as the company is working to sell off remaining inventory to prepare for the upcoming launch of the new 2009 iPhone, expected to be released around the middle of June, possibly at the company's similarly-timed Worldwide Developer Conference.

Source: Apple Insider
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Pretty neat, but a bit above most people's (including my) budget.
  3. Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah there is no way in hell I would be stupid enough to fork out $500 or $600 for a stupid phone. I rather stick to my iTouch and my Sanyo cell phone.
  4. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

I couldnt believe it myself when I saw it on the apple insider. Thats insane I wouldnt pay for it. Id go for the 32gb ipod touch before I even go for that. Major rip off.
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    expensive...

Hopefully this means a new one is coming out soon, but no way I'd spend that much on a phone (that I wouldn't even use as a phone).
  6. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i might. if the price dropped a hundred i would and i wouldnt necessarily use it for 3g i would:
    a. be able to say i have an ipone
    b. text and call on it (still cool)
    c. and have music/ videos