Apple sending me a new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zee, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So my battery woes continued with my iPhone. I went back to non-jailbroken 2.1 firmware to see if my battery life was any better. I could barely get 20 hours standby without my battery running down to 0. It just seemed to be getting worse and worse so I finally called Apple, explained my issues, and they're sending a new phone to me by courier! Should be here Monday or Tuesday.

How much battery time do you guys typically get? Here's how I was running my phone the last few days to test out my battery:

screen brightness: 20% with auto-dim off
    3G: OFF
    wifi: OFF
    location services: OFF
    push notification: OFF

So with pretty much EVERYTHING OFF, and also putting my phone into Airplane mode overnight while I slept, the battery was draining to nothing in about 18 hours. Ridiculous! Apple says 300 hours standby, I wasn't even getting anywhere close to that.
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    thats stupid
    but at least youre getting a new one
    good luck with the new one
  3. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Did they just take your word for it? Or did they keep it and test?
  4. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Took my word, they're charging my credit card for the new phone, then when I ship them back my current phone they credit my credit card back the amount.

Just as an FYI, the iPhone 3G 16GB actually costs $720!!!
  5. stay alive 305

stay alive 305 New Member

There is nothing wrong with your iPhone 3G's battery. That is the normal battery life of the iPhone 3G. You just got screwed by Apple because they charged you $720. You should have done some research first because your new iPhone 3G isn't going to be any better. Poor you.
  6. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

And its worth it, iPhone technology, software, hardware, and firmware are all way ahead of it's years.
  7. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

How did he get screwed by apple? He gets his money back when he sends his other iPhone to them.

Also, http://gizmodo.com/5024804/iphone-3g-battery-life-beats-the-competition-apples-own-tests
  8. stay alive 305

stay alive 305 New Member

I didn't know that they would pay him back for it. That's okay then. Also, Apple's tests are biased crap. The battery life on the iPhone 3G is horrible. The battery life that the OP is getting it just what everyone else gets. At least he's getting a new iPhone 3G for free.
  9. pogoyoyo

pogoyoyo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So listen kids
    if your iphone screen ever gets smashed or cracked, just tell apple your battery is dead and they'll get u a new one, send them the broken one and when they ask why the screen is smashed, say it must have broken somewhere between you sending it and them recieving it

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apparently you didn't read my post. Apple charges me $720 and then CREDITS me the money back when I send my current phone back to them.

Also, it's NOT normal battery life. I did some tests the last day, I turned EVERYTHING off on my phone including 3G, WIFI, Location Services and turned screen brightness all the way down to 20%. Then when I go to sleep I put the phone in Airplane mode which even shuts off the phone services, so basically it should use very little battery at that point. My phone has been in airplane mode over 10 hours of the 23 hours standby.

My phone battery is almost dead with only 23 hours standby and me not using any apps, no internet, only the phone very very sparingly.

That's not normal.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Again, it's not acceptable battery performance. Read what I did in my post. A buddy of mine has a 3G phone, his phone lasts at least twice as long as mine and he keeps everything turned on including wifi.
    My wife just let me know my replacement iPhone arrived at home. Can't wait to get home now.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Go my new phone and have it setup. For the guy who thought the battery would be exactly the same as my old phone I say you're out to lunch.

Old phone: dead after 18-20 hours in standby (alot of time in AIRPLANE MODE)

New phone: so far 12 hours in standby, I still have the phone running with PUSH on, not airplane mode, and the battery is pretty much at 100% still) So it'll blow away standby time on my old phone in the next 6 hours since I can't see it going down under 50% in that time considering it's still at or near 100 right now.

Very happy right now.

For those of you suffering with really crappy battery performance, if you only get a day or so standby, complain to Apple, you shouldn't have to settle for that.

I'll post final results of my standby time with this phone when it's done.