Apple Patents Remotely Disabling Jailbroken Phones

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by Cito, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    "Apple yesterday applied for patent to allow remotely disabling electronic devices when 'unauthorized usage' is detected. The patent application covers using the camera to take pictures of the unauthorized user and using GPS to determine location, and it involves ascertaining whether the phone has been hacked or jailbroken, using that as criteria for detecting 'suspicious behavior.' The patent would allow the carrier or any other 'authorized' party to disable or restrict the functionality of the device. Is this Apple's latest tool to thwart jailbreaking?"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-identification-of-unauthorized-ios-users.ars

If everything goes through, apple will then be able to remotely disable all jailbroken devices or severely restrict their functions.
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    More like anti-theft; An addition to Mobile Me. There would be quite a few legal issues with taking pictures of JB users purely because of a Jailbreak.
  3. Shengis14

Shengis14 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yea this can't be used to disable jailbreaking because it's
    Legal
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah they would be ABLE to do it...but whether they are ALLOWED to do it or not is another thing

Please Register or Log in to view images

so this won't be for jailbreak but for mobileme or another service by apple...of course for anti-theft

in addition: why should they take a photo of an user who jailbreaks? this is senseless - jailbreak is legal so no sense in that^^
  5. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

I'm sure someone would make a system tweak to prevent Apple from checking your device.
  6. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    what if someone is using their phone in the bathroom?

7. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    if you read the article it's a bypass around the court case that said it's legal to jailbreak.

the article says apple wont stop you from jailbreaking, but if you have a jailbroken iphone and try to use it with the carrier, the carrier will have the right to discontinue your service.

So that bypasses apple, and now allows ATT to detect if the device is jailbroken then if so deactivate service.

Since there are apps in cydia that allow bypassing ATT charges like tethering, ATT would definitely deactivate jailbroken devices on their network.

so the answer is yes you can jailbreak, but don't expect to use a carrier that disallows it.
  8. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think apple is getting too involved with how people use their iDevices if their true motive is to stop jailbreaking by doing this. But this does sound more like an anti-theft thing, which would be good.
  9. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

They should just make a open way to easily jailbreak and forget about it and not care. If we bought it we can do whatever we want with it. If they started spying on me I wouldnt want the phone anymore.
  10. oHmYgAtoS963

oHmYgAtoS963 Banned

What are the ways they know if your jailbroken
    And does apply to iPod touches?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ? I'm scared