Apple needs to play cat and mouse with pirates, not jailbreakers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by studangerous, May 5, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A great little piece by planetbeing that's been retweeted all over the shop today so I hope he won't mind me posting it up here too.

source
  2. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Apple restricts the access to the iPod/iPhone so they have a monopol when it comes to installing software and downloading music and movies. Furthermore they can decide which software gets approved and thus they can disable competitors (see Opera). Keeping this monopol is far more important to them than the few bucks they lose due to pirated software.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    They don't want an Atari incident. No one (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) does.
  4. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why do people think Apple has some huge force against Jailbreaking? What exactly are these "huge efforts" to prevent jailbreaking? If anyone here really thinks that Apple couldn't stop jailbreaking, they're fooling themselves. We're not dealing with some small time company that's run out of a basement. This is Apple. If they wanted jailbreaking to go away, they could make it happen.

The reality here, is that jailbreaking sells iPhones and iPod Touches. I know I bought mine for that one reason. If it weren't for jailbreaking, I'd have bought something else. I have friends that have done the same, and I'm sure there are a lot of people here that have done the same. To think that Apple is ignorant of this, and is just willing to throw away a good portion of sales because a few users try to pirate appstore apps? Please. Apple would rather loose a few pennies on an app than loose $200+ from an iPod Touch not being sold.
  5. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

@Maker_of_Noise: Unfortunately, you are incorrect. It has become clear that Apple is (sadly) unconvinced by arguments that jailbreaking helps them sell more products and moves against jailbreaking with both serious legal and technical challenges.

They have quite an extensive legal argument that the practice is illegal (see http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2008/responses/apple-inc-31.pdf).

On the technical side, they are and always have been actively investing quite a bit of engineering time in attempting to defend against jailbreaking. I can't discuss their latest efforts, but the long history includes a substantial update to bootloader codesign protection for s5l8720, img3 itself, removal of device node and symlink support in afc, otherwise superfluous partition checks during restore, etc. I am not including in that list any patch that could possibly be interpreted as a security measure against malware or bug fix. Basement company or not, they have tried and they have failed.

No disrespect to Apple, but no company "if they wanted to", can snap their fingers and just stop things like jailbreaking. Similar protections on every single game console has been broken so far, and game console producers are not interested in the only two possible outcomes: piracy or third-party development that do not pay hefty royalties to them.

The third way Apple is trying to end jailbreaking is the best way: They are developing features to fill in the gap and lessening the temptation of jailbreaking to gain needed features. Even so, I would still contend that jailbreaking ought to remain a legitimate option to anyone who wishes to do so, for freedom and fair competition reasons.
  6. Wrathchild

Wrathchild Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Most people who jailbrake do it for cracked apps. You can deny it all you want, but you know dam well they do. Most will lie through their ass and try to sound morally righteous and talk sh*t about how wrong it is and that they would never do it, but actually do. I bet you money if Apple found a way to prevent cracked apps once and for all there would be a lot less jailbraking, and people would lose interest in it.
  7. pss

pss New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I jailbroke before, now, and will continue to, and [PIRACY]us will never find its way onto my device. I pay for my apps, pay for my music, and pay for my movies.
  8. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

If Apple was so smart, why don't they just hard-encode the MobileInstallation file onto the iPod or something? Or even better, integrate sigchecks into iTunes. Or are those two suggestions physically impossible?
  9. MarcoPwnZ

MarcoPwnZ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    There are a lot of ways to look at this problem and the way apple looks at it is that jailbreaking = piracy... but I still think that if you want to *hack* any device you own... no one should be against it, since you paid for it. Apple could stop jailbreaking in a lot of other ways... like maybe adding things that jailbreaking allows you to do... For example themes. I don't really think there's a firmware that any experienced dev teams can't jailbreak...
  10. 209chromatic

209chromatic Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple clearly knew that piracy(including jailbreak)was going to happend and the cracked apps.So why dont they just f***en deal with it.