Apple need another $50 from you.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jonnyd, Oct 28, 2007.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd New Member

I just discovered those asshats have restricted video out to their own 'chipped' cable, which costs $50.

There's no benefit to it. You don't get any better performance than the standard one. You just can't connect your Ipod to a TV until you buy their cable.

Call me a grumpy old man, but this here IPT is the last thing I will ever buy from Apple.
  2. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

I empathize with you, but I have a shelf of almost a dozen cases that I've tried for devices that were new or released-hated them and shelved them. Most of them cost from between $30-$80. What's my point? You can't gripe about something that is $50. I'm by no mean rich, but sometimes the cost of being at the bleeding edge is the cost of finding cases, devices or accessories that will work properly. I have a Belkin media card reader that I would love to have work my IPT but alas, not even acknowledgment that it is there. The cost of progress means that standards change and upgrade.

If technology always had to stay backwards compatible it means it takes longer and longer for cool stuff to come out.

$50 is a small cost for an upgrade. I may not be happy for shelling it out again if I had an older device, but I can't be pissed at them for advancing.
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd New Member

That's not really the point.

A normal video out cable would work fine. They force you to buy theirs at no benefit whatsoever to you.

You didn't need the cases to get the full functionality of the device.

Besides this, I live in a place where there is *squat* chance that anyone will ever sell one of these cables.

I'm not happy.
  4. pared

pared New Member

Not to sound condescending, but you really don't understand how video out technology works. They're using the same pin connector for video out and all it takes is a software modification to allow the old cables to work.

This is solely Apple's way on cashing in on accessories. 3rd party accessories cut into their sales. By utilizing this chip, they force people either to but Apples "official" accessories or 3rd parties to buy the chip, which will cut into their costs and most likely reduce the amount of cables available.

A smart business move for Apple and a shaft for the consumer.
  5. jonnyd

jonnyd New Member

Quite.

A redesign of a product that adds no functionality whatsoever, just means a customer has to fork out to get his stuff to work.

I'll now [have to] keep the old 80gb vid unit so I can watch it on TV. I will buy an Archos next time I upgrade the Ipod, and a PC when this Mac gets too old.

I'm pissed. Apple must think we're really dumb.

[edit] Sorry, just re-reading your message - do you mean you can hack the touch to work with an old cable? If so, I'd obviously be interested to hear more.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. GreeKNastY

GreeKNastY New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    jeez relax..if you want it that bad then go buy it...

im sure you would do the same if you were in apples shoes...i personally dont care..me being a business man i understand everything..the bad thing is i cant find the daggum cord anywhere!

but yeah..eitehr go buy it..or wait for a 3rd party..im sure there will be sometyhing later on
  7. element4l

element4l New Member

Holy crap, it`s 50 bucks. Stop whining if you don`t wanna buy it. You may be older than me, but it seems adults these days whine about everything.
  8. macdog303

macdog303 Member

You guys i just bought the cable and i love it. It works so well. I have converted all my office shows to be only 40mb and when i output them onto the tv using this cable the picture is awsome for only being 40mb files.
  9. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Well I spent $63.00 on the composite cables, and now I am debating buying the component cables as well. I saw them last night for $73.99. I do think that $147.00 is alot of extra money to spend so that I can use video out with all of my tv's at home.
  10. jonnyd

jonnyd New Member

You still miss the point.

You shouldn't need to spend $147. Impressed though I am that you're rich enough to be able to piss such a vast amount up the wall, the fact is that a $9.99 RCA cable from Walmart will do EXACTLY the same job, except Apple have designed out your ability to do so.

This is not high tech stuff. There is nothing special about Apples cables. That's what I object to - it's cynical.

Oh, and whoever it was said I should go out and buy one - I don't live in the US, I can't just go out and buy one. I already said that. Lucky I kept the old Ipod really.