Apple Mobile Mail 1.1.2, V. 1.0 and Gmail - help pls

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by Jiri, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Jiri

Jiri New Member

Nov 26, 2007

I recently bought an iTouch and blessed it with iPhone apps.

With the newly installed Mail and my Gmail account, I tried to reproduce Andy Huang's tips about folder mapping from his sticky where Andy says

"Go: Settings > Mail > <Your Gmail Account> > Advanced
    Map: "

However, the Settings of my Mail app (version in the heading) do not show any "Map" or "Advance Map".

In Gmail account "Advanced" there are sections Deleted Messages (1 Remove option), Incoming Settings (4 options), Outgoing Settings (3 options), Gmail Settings (1 Recent Mode option).

Current functionality of Gmail in my iTouch Mail app is as follows:
    • the Gmail messages appears in the iTouch Inbox, can read
    • all of it is Unread on first opening Inbox (different from Gmail)
    • the mail moved to web Gmail folders appears in Inbox on iTouch
    • mail sent from web Gmail appears in my Inbox on iTouch

Please help with any advice, thanks.
  2. mrkogs

mrkogs New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    i have a problem where i set up my email then when i press the home button and go back to it, it doesnt save my email info so i cant use the email app on mine
    someone please help its would be awesome!
  3. pobs

pobs New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I have the same problem mrkogs. Any word on what's up?
    Anyone out there who can help us out with this?
  4. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Oct 8, 2007
    There is no "Map" function - he is telling you to go to Settings -> Mail -> <Your Gmail Account> then scroll down to the bottom and click the "Advanced" button. When you're on the next page he's TELLING you to click on the Deleted Mail and select that particular mailbox and then those other mailboxes. Map is being used as a verb in that sentence to

Please Register or Log in to view images

Also a question - it appears you may have setup your mail using POP rather than IMAP - if you use IMAP, all of your emails and their status (read, etc.) are kept between the two versions (e.g., iPod Touch Mail and Google Mail on the website). Also, there's a setting in the Mail to turn on/off an option to send a copy of your emails to yourself. That's probably why they're showing up in your Inbox...

As for mrkogs & pobs - can you explain in a little more details what's going wrong? When you're saying it doesn't save your emails info, what do you mean? Do you mean you're writing an email, you go back to the home screen, and it doesn't save what you were working on? Or doesn't save that items were read?