Apple mobile device driver madness (can't sync Ipod touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tommok, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tommok

Tommok New Member

Jul 16, 2008

I'm new here, but I've browsed through this forum for some hours, I even used the search function, but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

So this is my problem: after updating to the newest itunes, whenever I plug my Ipod Touch into the USB 2.0 port (front of my computer, no hub, no other USB devices exept keyboard and mouse) I get a windows error box saying that installing the device failed, the yellow box on the right bottom says "Apple mobile device USB driver", and the reason given is that some file could not be found (it doesn't say which one).

Now. I've de-installed and re-installed Itunes, Quicktime, Apple mobile device, Apple update service about a gazillion times. I've deactivated all other startup services. I have stopped and re-started the AMDS a gazillion times. I've tried to point the driver installation (in device manager) to the "drivers" folder mentioned in several threads here.

No change, no luck, I still can't sync my ipod because of this error message.

Does anyone have any idea other than re-installing windows (xp 32 by the way)?

And, everything worked fine on my laptop. Only my library is not on there, and I DO want to be able to sync from my desktop computer.

Help, please!
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Anyone? This is killing me, I can't use my Touch any more, and these train rides are deadly boring! (Unless I would want to go and buy a BOOK

Please Register or Log in to view images

or something similarly disgusting.)
  2. Domestic3missary

Domestic3missary New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I am having this same problem, verbatim. Every single detail is the same with me. Only, I am using 32 bit Vista Ultimate. I just got this as a gift and I can't even put my music on it. I feel like breaking something in my frustration. I may have even tried more things than you have to get it to work, Tommok. Someone out there has got to know how to fix this. I know Apple doesn't, because every solution they suggest has done jack sh*t for me.

I fixed it! Here's what I did... I uninstalled every single thing having to do with Apple or iTunes in uninstall programs and then I searched my computer for any leftovers and deleted them. Afterwards, I restarted my computer. And keep in mind through all this Vista knew my device as a camera and I am leaving it disconnected from my computer. Then I installed the latest version of iTunes. I then open iTunes and before connecting my iPod, and I reset it by holding down the hold and home buttons. When the apple appears, I connect the device while keeping home pressed. Then I let go and Vista started to pick it up and searched for drivers. This time, it found them and then iTunes picked it up. So, voila! This worked for me. I can only hope that it works for you, and others who are having the same problem in XP.
  3. ardoyne

ardoyne New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    iPod Touch usb madness

Thank You sincerely, Domestic3missary. Although your solution took a long time to implement it worked beautifully.