Apple=Microsoft

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by blueskiwi, Dec 3, 2007.

1. blueskiwi

blueskiwi New Member

Just got my new iPod Touch. The hardware and the interface are gorgeous but the software kind of sucks, on Windows at least.

Without the Mac's iPhoto the options for syncing photos via iTunes are basically unusable, I don't understand why I can't just drag the ones I want on to it.

For the web browser there is no option to sync bookmarks with Firefox, only MSIE (huh?)

For contacts the only options are Windows Address Book and Yahoo Address Book (huh??)

And for Calendars it just says 'no supported calendar application can be found'. From what I've read it only works with MS Outlook [retch retch] and that even there the sync up is buggy. I don't understand why it won't work with other apps when they nearly all use or support the iCal standard format.

Is iTunes sponsored by Microsoft or something? Why does it only work with crappy Microsoft products?
  2. RoundysSince

RoundysSince New Member

The iPhoto thing you read in the other thread is about the member not wanting to mess around with his filing system. You can always copy the photos you want into a separate folder and synch that folder. iPhoto just makes the management easier.

As for the rest, you can always boot up Leopard. I had to run XP on my Mac when I got the Samsung K5.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. blueskiwi

blueskiwi New Member

sorry, you don't understand... I'm not on a mac, I'm on a pc. There is no iPhoto or ical etc.
  4. RoundysSince

RoundysSince New Member

Actually, you don't understand. iTunes allows you to synch a folder regardless of which OS you use.

The problem that some people might have is (like the guy in the other thread);
    You'll need to either move the photos or copy them - which could mess up your filing system. That is it.

Just have a folder with all of your photos you want to synch, and choose that folder in iTunes.

It says on the Apple website that Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 will also work.
  5. blueskiwi

blueskiwi New Member

Yeah, like I said it's a bit crappy. Either I have to point it to one of my existing folders of photos, in which case it will indiscriminately copy all of the photos in that folder until it runs out of room on the iPod (hopefully it copies the most recent ones first...?) ...or I have to make a new folder and duplicate the photos I want for the iPod on my hard drive. Or I have to buy Adobe Photoshop.

I don't see why I can't just drag the photos I want onto the iPod the same way I can with music tracks.
  6. moomood256

moomood256 New Member

All you have to do is figure out which photos you want and put them in a folder, Apple has different programs that it works with on a mac, but on Windows I've come to find that the most commonly used applications happen to be from Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't really have a photo program that allows you to sort through photos and categorize them, so Apple just put it to setting a folder to sync. It works out nice for them cause if some person can't get it to work on iTunes then it's Microsoft's fault. If it especialy bothers you that you cannot sync it with a program then find a photo program which allows you to back up all of your files and then set the file to the backup folder. With the iCal Calendars, it works nicely to add but most people will use Outlook or nothing (though not those customers whom would make up this web site).