Apple May Be Planning A Holiday Release For Next iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i.think.different, Sep 10, 2010.

1. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple May Be Planning A Holiday Release For Next iPad
    by Devin Coldewey on September 10, 2010

Some rumors are swirling, quite unsubstantiated, that Apple may be breaking its own yearly release cycle by pushing for a holiday release for the next iPad. Traditionally, of course, Apple has its products on more or less yearly cycles, spreading the fun out over several events or sometimes furtively updating specs in the night. It’s worked well for them, because though it may be grueling for their engineers, it’s a known variable for them and the customers. It’s been a sort of assumption that the iPad would be subject to this same scheduled update, but that never sat well with me, especially after the introduction of the iPhone 4.

So these rumors come as no surprise; if I had “a person with proven knowledge,” I would have cited them with such a rumor months ago, whether they said so or not. It makes sense for a number of reasons.

1. The iPad is limited. Oh, put down your pitchforks. You know what I mean. I don’t think the iPad was ever meant to be a single device, but like their other computers, it was always going to be a range, with different sizes and slightly different specs. But the first thing was to put out one, in the hypothetical Goldilocks zone for tablets, and see if consumers bit. They did. Time to expand. Variety would be necessarily more restricted than the laptops, since the iOS platform is far more controlled, but there’s no reason you shouldn’t have a large, medium, and small. Those are things that will never confuse customers, and which provide easy prices to rally around. I suspect the iPad is the medium, with a 7″ and 11″ (or thereabouts) in the cards for the next year. iPad, iPad Pro, and iPad Mini. Or something.

2. The wolves are (kind of) at the door. They’re really small wolves, and the door is 3 million iPads thick, but they are scratching at it nonetheless. Being first to the market has definite benefits, but HP, Google, Motorola, Microsoft, Blackberry, and pretty much every other tech giant on the planet wants a piece of Apple, and although the iPad could likely stand alone on its strengths, there’s no reason to let it. A more compact iPad with a camera for FaceTime (and likely a few other minor improvements) would take the wind out of the competition’s sails — and sales, if only because it’s new and new sells.

3. They need FaceTime devices. Another rumor that showed up today is that Apple is expanding FaceTime to OS X and possibly Windows machines (developers are still waiting on that “open standard,” though). While the new iPod touch took some of the pressure off Apple to provide non-iPhone-4 FaceTime devices, it would be mighty strange if they left the iPad as the only non-compatible device for a whole year. Apple wants to make FaceTime a marquee feature of their products — simple, no-nonsense video chat on all their devices — and if the holiday season isn’t the time to push that, I don’t know what is. I can see it now: “A Very Special Apple Holiday Event,” with snow on the logo and everything. FaceTime for all, and to all a good night.

The original iPad, it seems reasonable to assume, will remain unchanged for the time being. What we’re looking at is a great opportunity for Apple to introduce a new product, not to unexpectedly update the original, an action which consumers might look on as kind of a bait and switch. I’d also guess that availability wouldn’t be until well after the holidays, which isn’t optimal for a gift-oriented release, but it’s better than nothing. Knowing there’s a new iPad in the near future might dampen your desire for a compact Android tablet or Palmpad.

Of course, this is all rumor and speculation, and of course it had to show up literally the day after I start considering buying one of these damn things, so to be honest I don’t know whether I even want to believe it.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/10/apple-may-be-planning-a-holiday-release-for-next-ipad/
  2. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Well, here is my take on the article:

1) The iPad is not that limited from what I can see. It can do a lot of things, but Apple is intentionally not letting you do those things. Perhaps until they've found "a better way" to do it. For now, you can jailbreak the device and use it that way. Actually, if we have a list of these "limits", I'm certain we can find a solution to them.

2) There are no wolves at the door or even in the wild as far as I can see. Google just admitted that Android 2.2 is not ready for tablets yet. And Android 3.0 is nowhere to be seen, so... camp Google is pretty much just manufacturers trying to play the "I have a tablet too" game there. Plus one of the apparent fact is that Oracle is suing Google over the core of Android OS, and if they win, Google will have to rewrite Android from scratch, or abandon Android altogether. Sounds like it'll help progress with Android 3.0, huh? WebOS? Mmm... last I heard, HP just fired their CEO, and now they're busy suing that same CEO guy again, so I don't expect HP to release anything until at least said CEO has been sued to oblivion. If you haven't heard the horror stories... about Enso, about Fusion Garage, about Notion Ink, and other unnamed... it's a list of warriors who enlisted themselves and got finished off even before they went to battle. Fusion Garage kind of went to battle, but was finished off due to software issues. Notion Ink doesn't even have the money to start building a prototype. And Enso finally gave up and called it quits after a while. So... wolves? Samsung and Archos? I'd say... we wait out for reviews of their hardwares to fly in and sink in before we can say anything. Things tend to look great on paper (oh hell yeah, the JooJoo Tablet, man!), but they may turn out to be quite abysmal in reality (JooJoo, again...).

3) FaceTime on iPad? I think this is a valid reason. But again... kind of unrelated. FaceTime was supposed to be a video chat platform for mobile OSes. If you're going to argue that the iPad should have it then how come I'm not seeing it as an update on my Macbook Pro as well? Is it really so hard to just write the software for the Macbook so that I can use my Macbook to chat with my dad who has an iPhone 4? Indeed. So I think... if the iPad is in the same category as the Macbook, or even remotely similar, then FaceTime would have to come to the Macbook as well. And I didn't see an announcement, so it's safe to say... Apple is not in any hurry. The iPad is almost 6 months (correction: 7 months flat) behind the other iOS devices to get multitask support, folder, and... the other features.

That aside, if a brand new device with a new size is gonna be announced, it's gotta be now, because Apple needs to leave a 3-month window for developers to adapt and start developing apps to fit into the size of the device. iPad? January to April. iPad Mini? iPad Pro? If they're gonna meet December release, they've gotta be announced already. If they haven't been announced by now, I doubt they'll come this holiday season. Oh well, perhaps the next one, but by then, the iPad 2 would have come out with most of the missing features anyway, so I think the desire for a different device would be moot.
  3. shithead

shithead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I hope it's not true

Please Register or Log in to view images

But if it is, than Apple is definitley scared of Android, because Google is going to release a new version with tablet support.

I think Foxconn will start the production before holidays and Apple will release it begin of 2011, maybe right after the iPad Keynote.

If they really would like to release it before the holidays, they should have started the production and we would have already seen some prototype pictures or pictures from its parts, don't you think?
  4. dannaz94

dannaz94 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i would love to see an ipad with a retina display something like 1920x1080 on that 7" screen
  5. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yep. If this was to be released for the holidays, developers would have gotten advance notice of it to prepare apps by this time. This is not just a rumor, it's somewhat wishful thinking in my opinions... Apple doesn't need more for the holidays now that they have games from big companies like Epic Games coming to the iOS ecosystem and they have 3 new iPods to show.

And this new Android version with tablet support won't be widely available until after iPad 2 is out... because... for a fact, Android 2.2 has been available in beta and unofficial leak builds for months, but a large number of devices still don't have it. Heck, tablets being released with that version aren't even released. This dates back to April. We're 5 months from April now. The next version of Android doesn't even have a beta by this time, and iPad 2 is about 6 months away from being released already.

That's simply impossible. There is no portable chipset strong enough to drive a display that high in resolution.

I think there should be a sticky so people would stop saying retina display this and that... It's possible on the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 because the resolution of the retina display is lower than that of the iPad. The iPad still has a higher resolution display, and to get the same pixel density of the retina display for the iPad screen, Apple would have to be able to build the screen with the highest pixel count in history bar none. The resolution would exceed 2500 pixels horizontally and 1600 vertically. That's just not economical. Plus the iPad can barely drive its current display. Apple will need hardware 3-4 times as fast literally to drive such a display, so... please be reasonable.
  6. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I doubt they'd bring out more iPads or iPad revisions just yet. It's still selling a hell of a lot, and with the winter holidays coming up it'll likely keep selling. Apple aren't likely to replace it until April next year.

Technically, 2560x1600 monitors exist so Apple wouldn't really be building a screen with the highest pixel count (particularly when you consider wide cinema displays)

Still, the point stands. They would require a much more powerful graphics processor to drive such a high res display. (The GPU that the iPad uses is actually the PowerVR SGX 535, a.k.a. the Intel GMA 500, the one that powers the ultra-low-power netbooks.)
  7. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Displays with resolutions higher than 2560x1600 exist... but only for specialized purposes...

But my point was... to match the pixel density of the retina display (more than 320 ppi), the iPad needs to have a display that has a resolution of 2560 x 1920, which would mean it has a resolution that is higher than any consumer level display. That's roughly twice the resolution of any HDTV on a 9.7" screen. Forgetting the fact that such a display would be very expensive, there is no mobile GPU to drive it. RAM requirement would be through the roof, and making graphics for it would suck... majorly.
  8. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    It still wouldn't be the screen with the highest pixel count in history.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But yeah, I get your point. It would require a much more powerful GPU to drive just basic 2D graphics on a display of such high resolution. There ARE mobile GPUs capable of driving it, however none could be adapted for the iPad with power draws far exceeding 30W, and significant size.
  9. Donka

Donka Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I personally don't see this happening for Christmas but I do think the current iPad is limited, more by the rest of the IOS range - 256MB RAM is fine for v3.2 but when IOS4.2 hits the iPad with multitasking there is surely going to be a need for 512MB the same as the iPhone 4. While the latest Touch still only has 256MB RAM, the iPad will lend itself more easily to multitasking so I think this bump in memory is absolutely necessary. That along with the camera's for Facetime and general video will be the main updates in the new iPad next year IMHO.