iOS 3.1 Apple iPod Touch, Rock Question, JB and Firmware Question?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Goldcoin, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Goldcoin

Goldcoin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    OK... So my iPod Touch 2G 8GB (3.1.2 firmware) broke the other day (don't spray Windex directly on the device screen btw). I've tried repairing it by opening it up and keeping it in a bowl of rice to no avail. So I'm now in the market for a new iPod Touch. Unfortunately, Apple has the lame 3.1.3 software out on all of their new devices now to eliminate JB-ing.

If I were to buy a brand new device with 3.1.3 software, would I be able to successfully downgrade to 3.1.2 and JB? I've read on the internet that you can no longer do this because "Apple is not signing 3.1.2 firmware anymore."

Another option for me is to buy a device off of eBay in New or Used condition with the 3.1.2 firmware already on it. If Apple is no longer signing 3.1.2 firmware, could this option still work for me?

Finally, if both of those options fail it is possible that I MIGHT have a back-up stored in Rock, but I don't know a lot about Rock's back-up system. What exactly does it back-up (besides a list of downloaded apps)? How can I know if I do have a back-up?

Thanks. I can add more details, just ask. I appreciate any help I can get!

EDIT: OK. Well I was just thinking, "How are you going to access Rock without JBing first?" lol. Would there be a way to access a Rock back-up without JBing? Or would I even need to? I'm thinking now it must be just a back-up of apps and settings. But feel free to correct me!

As far as KEYS go... I might have some on the computer I'm on right now as I used my iPod on it occasionally, but the computer I used my iPod with most often and also JBed on is not available to me as my Hard Disk Drive failed, taking much data with it.
  2. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If you buy a 3G iPod touch 8 gig, you can downgrade it using 2G 3.1.2 firmware.
  3. Goldcoin

Goldcoin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    For technical understanding, why is that? Aren't the iPhone OS's the same across devices of different memory capacities?
  4. apple10

apple10 Member

Device:
    iPad 3

Buy a new 3rd Gen. 8GB. Then click here.

That should be it.

MUST be 8GB.
  5. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

ok, the rock backup system just backs up a list of installed apps and sources. but it works, unlike the other jailbroken backup apps. say you get a new ipod, and you are able to jailbreak it. get rock, and go through all the settings and signing in, and somewhere it should allow you to restore. it sends a list of apps to download to your ipod, and it does it automatically. ive done this before, and it is legit.
  6. Goldcoin

Goldcoin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    @apple10 Thanks for the info. Is it really a tethered JB though on all the new 3rd Gen. models?

@steve Thanks for the info. That's certainly a lot easier than searching and downloading everything all over again! However, I've also heard something about Rock backing up keys or something like that. I know the application had a post about backing up when 3.1.3 was first released.
  7. apple10

apple10 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yeah, its tethered. Look here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280066
  8. Goldcoin

Goldcoin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    OK. Thanks. And it must be 3rd Gen? You can no longer JB 2nd Gen?
  9. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you can jailbreak a 2G
  10. Goldcoin

Goldcoin New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    With 3.1.3 firmware (in other words is it downgradable to 3.1.2)?

Like what do those people who accidently upgrade their firmware do?

XD

As a note, I'd rather not deal with tethering. I mean what would I do if my iPod crashed while on the road? I'd lose over half its functionality, seeing how I use Cydia and Rock downloads more than anything else. Obviously the 3G models have better hardware and capabilities, but it's not that much better than it's 2G predecessor is it?