Apple iPod Touch 4G Overall Thoughts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tinyman392, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well, I've finally gotten a chance to actually thoroughly use the iPod Touch 4G for a number of days now and I've got some things to say about it as a whole. We've all heard of the pros, cons, and defects* of the device.

Pros:

-Retina Display: The retina display is just gorgeous, even if the display is non-IPS, it still is an amazing display that should be praised. You literally have to see it to believe it.

-A4 Processor: This is the new heart and soul of the iPod. It creates a much smoother experience on the device. It has been underclocked to preserve battery. Though it's still fast and makes the device that much smoother.

-Dual Cameras: We were hoping for cameras to come to the iPod. Apple finally added these in, and not a minute too late. The cameras are a welcome addition to the iPod Touch. They work as advertised and the HD recording is just awesome. We wished for one camera, and received two! Now we just wait for Skype to release video chat support (they will right?)

-Gyroscope: Makes gaming so much more usable. I used to absolutely hate playing the accelerometer based games. And I still do. But I absolutely love the ones that use the gyroscope! The controlling is precise to just about every movement.

-Microphone: This is an overlooked feature that is paired with the camera. No more do we have to use a headset to activate voice control. No more do we have to use a headset to make VOIP calls. The microphone is a welcome addition to the iPod hardware.

-LED backlighting: The LED backlit screen on the iPod saves battery. LED uses less power than most regular LCDs. And a lot less power than IPS displays. Though it doesn't have the viewing angles that the IPS has, it is still less battery consuming. Probably the reason why Apple did this.

-Facetime**: This is the video chat that Apple has been pushing since the iPhone 4. I haven't used it yet (have no one to video chat), so I can't say much about it.

Cons:

-Sun glare: This is minor, but makes it difficult to use the iPod out doors. Whenever any glare from the sun goes over the screen, an nice rainbow glare overtakes the screen. It makes it much harder to use the iPod. I have found that the brighter the display, the less glare you receive.

-Sub par cameras: Though the camera is included, which I'm so thankful for, I can't deny the fact that the camera isn't up to par. Apple normally doesn't release sub-par things, but the camera is one of these rarities. However, this doesn't make the camera unusable, just don't think you'll be snapping desktop wallpapers with this. Still not a great replacement for the majority of cell phone cameras nowadays.

-Non-IPS display: Lots of people were really bummed when they found out that the iPod didn't have an IPS display. So they lost the major viewing angles and "quality" of the display. But you pay 300 dollars for the iPod vs 600. You get what you pay for.

-3rd party accessory support: I just noticed this. My Griffin wall charger doesn't work anymore. I use it to charge my iPod overnight so it has full power for the day to come. But there is an error in the software, sometimes when you plug it in, it shows the charging icon (and makes the charging noise). But doesn't charge. After a couple times of "charging" (it didn't charge), the pop-up "Accessory not supported" comes up. As with the majority of the new iPods, lots of 3rd party accessories lose support.

-New placement of sleep/wake button: Lots of people complain about this. but I like it (I'm left handed and it makes it easier for me to press it). However, it does take getting used to. I also don't like the angle it is at. The angle makes it difficult to sleep the iPod when it is set down.

-Support for Facetime: I have not seen to many people/friends of mine even have a Facetime compatible device (iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G). There isn't as much support for it. Hopefully this changes and Apple adds a desktop client.

Defects:

-Light leaks: Many people have this. The light leaks out of the sides and buttons of the screen. If you have this, Apple will replace your device.

-HD recording "ticking": Many people have this (Including me; but it has to be very quiet). You'll only hear these when you relay the video and it was filmed in a really quiet room. Apple most likely won't replace your device if you tell them about this (but will refund it)***.

-Overheating: Many people complained that the iPod get really hot while using it constantly. This over heating also causes the next defect that is seen. One person has gotten burns from it. Apple will replace your device if you tell them about this. I have had my iPod get warm (this is normal, hot to the touch/burning is not normal).

-Lagging/slowness: This normally happens when your device overheats (previous defect). It makes the device lag and become unresponsive. Most of the time, a restart doesn't fix this. And you must let the iPod cool down.

Final thoughts:

The iPod Touch 4G is a great addition to the iPod lineup. It is a much improved change over the previous model. However, if you do have the previous model, I would say to wait on the upgrade because your device is fast enough to do what it needs to do. If you have a second gen device or earlier (1G/2G iPod; 2G/3G iPhone) then I would recommend upgrading as you'll see a world of difference. The camera is a great addon, but isn't high quality. Facetime is a nice add, but I think it is a "toy" until Apple creates a Desktop client and more people use it. In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons (and defects if you have any). The iPod is a great update and refresh to the previous model.

*Not all iPod Touch 4Gs will have defects, some have none at all!
    **I have not tested this, but it seems like a positive to me.
    ***Unconfirmed that Apple will refund your sale, but should if it's within 30 days.
  2. JKJones

JKJones Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nice review
  3. iAwesome

iAwesome New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This is a great review! Nice and useful info.
  4. GuilleiPod

GuilleiPod New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great review.
  5. Soldier

Soldier Active Member

i noticed it gets warm on the top half of the device rather than the bottom now. ipt4 rules
  6. elimcfly

elimcfly Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Stickam is a great way to try out the Ipod Touch 4G as a webcam. Facetime might be a little hard to use as of the moment.
  7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    It's exactly the same for me! When I've played Real Racing for 10 minutes the top of my iPod get's a little warm (nothing to start any alarms yet though!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  8. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The warmth on the top (as opposed to my old 2G's warmth on the bottom) is normal. It also happens when you use WiFi for a prolonged amount of time (long downloads), or put the brightness really high.

Thanks for all the compliments

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Tatanka

Tatanka New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Very Nice Review,i compare my ipt 3g(64gb-jailbroken)with an enthusiast iphone 4 owner:
    1: Same boot and speed over any app(games,internet-wifi),disabling apple fake multitasking(free ram)
    2: Difficult to watch(sun glare)anything outdoor on iphone 4
    3: Using Navigon on ipt 3g(igps360)was much easy beacuse of iphone 4 sun glare
    4: My bluethooth can send and receive dat from any cell not only from idevices
    5: Have full HD cam,120gb,for really HD movies and photo
    6: Old HTC fully working,better cam than ipt4
    7: Costs? 328 dollars,75 igps360
    8: Reason for ugrade? NONE
  10. Soldier

Soldier Active Member

i just noticed i have a light leak on the uper left part of my ipod. is it really anything so bad that you have to get it replaced? cause i dont see a real reason to go through the struggles of replacing it.