Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Apple iPad Vs. HP Slate?

Discussion in 'iDevice competitors' started by adamrr, Jan 31, 2010.

1. stillercity

stillercity New Member

I think it'll be interesting to see this because I'm not convinced on how well the iPad will sell. Everyone I've talked to about it says "it's just a big iPod Touch with books." Which is hard to argue against, until you point out the processing speed and that actual size of the iPad.

It's too early to compare the two products though because we really don't know enough about the HP Slate. The fact that it runs Windows 7 is almost enough for me to jump on it already, but I'm hoping that it'll be able to match up (specs-wise) with the exoPC Slate linked above.

It'll definitely need to have a +1 GHz processor (and the mysterious Apple A4 is enough to make it seem better than just another 1 GHz processor). I think 3GB DDR2 RAM is asking for a lot from a tablet but I'd rather see that than a 2GB RAM.

The thing that Apple has over HP in this case is the "Apple Mobile Universe" as I like to call it. It's got all the apps that anyone can dream of and the OS has proven to work well (while not being able to do much). I think the iPad's level of "coolness" could be enough to outsell the HP Slate, even though the HP Slate may be better performance-wise.

For any Windows product to sell well, I think Microsoft needs to adopt a sort of "App Store" that can rival the App Store of Apple. Sure, it may be copying, but hey, it's a free market economy. If Microsoft releases an SDK where the developers can do pretty much whatever they want (look at the Zune SDK) we might see some successful mobile devices coming from Windows Operating Systems. For now, however, Android and iPhone OS seem to be controlling the mobile OS market (go Windows Mobile 7!).
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Depends on what you want it for; honestly, I'd go for the iPad. Why? Just because I have a laptop and a desktop to do everything else on.

But the HP Slate does look really (really) nice.
  3. irishguy3m

irishguy3m New Member

The difference is that the HP slate runs an OS that was made for computers with mice and keyboards while the iPad runs an OS that was specifically made as a touch interface. The iPad looks much easier to use and even though it is able to do less, the overall experience would be much better with the iPad then the slate, and overall experience sells.
  4. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    so you ditched apple and went for HP.....
    much loyalty.....
  5. tomcooldrummer

tomcooldrummer New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G

I completely agree with you. The OS is based on Mac OS X, the slate has windows. I believe that the word WINDOWS is all I have to say to finish that off. iPhone OS is simple and intuitive. Windows is Windows.
  6. Geo411m

Geo411m Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Here are a few reasons why I'm getting the iPad over the HP Slate.

1. Doesn't get viruses
    2. Doesn't need an Antivirus.
    3. Doesn't get slow over time like all windows machines do.
    4. works with all my app store apps/games.
    5. Longer Battery life.
    6. Much faster. The iPhone OS does most thing nearly instant compared to Windows.
    7. Doesn't get viruses :p

Don't get me wrong the Slate looks like a really nice machine but I think the iPad is a better device for my needs.
  7. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^So true...I never thought about it that way :)
  8. stillercity

stillercity New Member

You act like Windows 7 is filled with viruses. If you're not stupid you won't get viruses. And even if you do, anti-virus programs will get rid of them (oh no, anti-virus programs make everything TERRIBLE)... my iPod Touch had gotten slower over time before it was stolen and I'm sure the iPad will too. Apple has a history of its products slowing over time (like almost every iPod for instance...).
    Don't forget how limited the iPhone OS really is. I mean, it's huge that Windows 7 is on a tablet. You can do pretty much anything on a Windows 7, and you can do pretty much everything that you can do on an iPad on Windows 7. Plus there is variability on Windows 7 that isn't on iPhone OS. Meaning more than one music library, more than one photo app, more than on video app...
  9. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    History proves that Windows isn't built for a touch UI...and is as buggy as hell when used as such.
  10. Geo411m

Geo411m Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That's my point, why would I want an antivirus slowing down my device. The iPad just works and it works FAST. I just want to grab the device and check e-mail, surf the web and maybe watch a flick. With Windows I'll have to wait for it to boot, then wait for the antivirus to do it's thing updating and scanning and then I can do what I want.

That is true. The iPhone's OS is made for smaller screen and makes better use of it. With windows, it's made to work with larger screens and isn't as nice for surfing on the smaller size screens.